Confused about dance types

Hazel

Hi- I never danced myself as a child so playing catch up on all of this (steep learning curve in last 12months with festivals, Associate auditions etc!) Can anyone tell me what the differences are between contemporary, lyrical and modern?

DD (8) is not interested in learning tap but loves ballet and also wants to try modern or contemporary (she doesn’t know the difference either!). Dance school seems to offer ‘lyrical’ to older students 11+ish as an option after their ballet class but no set modern classes - Do younger children not normally do these styles? Thanks!

Edited by Hazel

Well that’s a tough question, and I’m sure there are lots of different answers! I’ll kick off with my attempt ………...

Modern is an umbrella term covering lots of styles, but as far as exam syllabi are concerned it’s usually jazz-style (funky, lively, think of the sort of dancing they do in Musical Theatre shows).  At many festivals though the Modern section incorporates jazz, lyrical and contemporary . 

Lyrical is more floaty! Some festivals have a separate section for it because it’s so different from jazz. It often involves dancing to ballads wearing a floaty skirted leotard. Lots of emotion, soft arms, quite balletic.

Contemporary also covers a wide range of possibilities. Often it’s a bit more edgy, more isolations. It can be quite experimental. 

Dd would describe her favourite style as ‘lyrical contemporary’!

Try searching on youtube.

• Like 2

Hello Hazel,

My daughter never did competitions so therefore never took Lyrical classes, but in her old school, "Modern" referred to ISTD Modern Theatre dance, sometimes called Jazz.  Modern/Jazz classes are a good contrast to ballet and can be started at a young age.  

In the UK, Contemporary refers to free moving dance, often following the principles of Martha Graham, Merce Cunningham et al (Graham technique is described here):  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/23wzLfgrBtRJgBYxKDbcKZ0/contemporary-dance  There is also Limon Contemporary as well as "Release" based.  Contemporary is often not started until 11+ as it demands a certain level of both physical and emotional maturity.   

If I remember rightly, Lyrical is mostly used in competitions, so I'm sure someone with competition experience will be able to explain further. ☺️

• Like 2

BlueLou's suggestion to look on Youtube is a good one.  Here's an example of beginner Contemporary at The Place:  

Just be aware that if a Youtube video is from the USA, they call Contemporary "Modern", and what we call Modern, they call "contemporary"! 

• Like 3

some dance styles are so different and yet others seem to overlap so much. I am sure the others know far more than me but having watched lots of festivals over the last few years lyrical is quite balletic but with a lot of emotion and yes in floaty dresses, modern can be modern jazz or modern stage (I think most exam boards do modern jazz but ISTD Modern Theatre Dance includes jazz amalgamations and lyrical amalgamations and then they do some separate jazz awards focused on jazz (obviously). Contemporary is still a bit of a mystery to me. I like the description already given of it often being more edgy. I agree with that. 

17 hours ago, Hazel said:

Hi- I never danced myself as a child so playing catch up on all of this (steep learning curve in last 12months with festivals, Associate auditions etc!) Can anyone tell me what the differences are between contemporary, lyrical and modern?

DD (8) is not interested in learning tap but loves ballet and also wants to try modern or contemporary (she doesn’t know the difference either!). Dance school seems to offer ‘lyrical’ to older students 11+ish as an option after their ballet class but no set modern classes - Do younger children not normally do these styles? Thanks!

Hi hazel 

My dd has done modern jazz, lyrical and contemporary from age 7-8. 

As far as I understand - 

Modern jazz: about lines and often sharper movements

Lyrical - emotional based fluid movements with contractions and extensions though doesnt have to be girly and floaty 

Contemporary - more free in moves interprets music