Northern ballet associates

Ballet12

Hello, I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone had any advice or experience about the nbt associate programme.

My DD has never applied for any associate programmes before as her teacher didn't feel she had the right body although has seemed to change her mind this year as she has grown(she's now 13)

She loves ballet and despite doing it five days a weeks wants to do more.

We attended on of their open days and she thoroughly enjoyed the class I thin the auditions are in a few weeks.

Is the body type as rigid as at RBS or are they looking for other things.

Sorry so many questions but you all seem so knowledgeable.

I have had many an experience with northern ballet and from what I recall there is no particular body type although as anywhere the dancer must be strong and flexible. Flexibilty is quite important at northern ballet from what I remember, they ask all the children to do several positions to test flexibility such as box splits, etc. Presuming this is the first time you have applied I would remind you how fierce the competition is for Senior Associates. Last year there were about 30-40 children for about 8 places. We didn't even get to the finals. However despite this if your DD is serious about her ballet and wishes to take it further I would definitley reccomend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know when we find out if our dancers have got auditions for NBT associates? The closing date was Monday and it looks like they start auditions next week? I did e-mail one week ago but not heard. Also my daughter has applied for the Easter course does anyone know how far in advance they let you know if they are successful ?

Hi, I'm wondering the same thing. I've had an email saying they've recieved the application and would be in touch soon with audition details (that was last week) but nothing else so far. I thought the auditions were supposed to be either 2nd or 4th March! If I haven't heard anything by Monday I'll ask when dd goes for her class (she goes to the open lessons there).

Hopefully we'll hear something soon :)

I've been an associate at NBT for 4 years now, and couldn't recommend the programme more. Defintely not as obsessive over body types as Royal are, as we have had girls with all sorts of 'limitations' Royal would not touch. Despite this, the standard is always very high, as more and more apply for the associates each year. In my class (SA), both the girls and boys are fantastic, with so much talent.

I never know what they are looking for, as I've known girls try to get in three years in a row who are outstanding, but not getting places, and some who are a little less experienced get in on their first go. Not entirely sure what they look for specifically.

Definitely worth a try though. Good luck! :)

LB x

• Like 1

Has anyone heard about the Easter course yet? Applied for my child ages ago and had an acknowledgement but nothing else since. Also, could anyone tell me anything about the course as we have not been there before? - age 13 and about to take RAD Inter.

My dd an SA at Northern Ballet and I have to say that it is just such a friendly place. I love the way you can speak to a teacher and get a report at the end of the year on how they are progressing or areas to improve on. In fact the communication is great generally there. As little Ballerina says there are all sorts of body shapes and I would encourage anyone to go for it!

swe

Has anyone heard about the Easter course yet? Applied for my child ages ago and had an acknowledgement but nothing else since. Also, could anyone tell me anything about the course as we have not been there before? - age 13 and about to take RAD Inter.

The auditions are this weekend for those not being selected through photo application - so I guess we'll hear in the next week or so. DD not been before, athough it has been highly recommended by others.

Millie