facility for dance/flexibility screening

leotardmum

I hear about 'facility' all the time in the ballet world  and would think they are talking about body proportions/headsize/neck/feet etc  just wondering if anyone has ever had direct feedback wrt their childs 'facility' in either a good or bad way ? Obv in an audition they are looking at this but also flexibility  and I also wonder what are the 'standard tests they do ? is it just splits? touching toes? taking shoes off to look at arch ...just wondering about what goes on actually  in order to perhaps guide my child in her approach to auditions/ flexi training  and also try and have realistic expectations  towards there bodies. How much stretching is done by your 10 year olds in class/out of class? How tough are they at RBS on flexibility at RBS auditions- do they do a physical assessment ? thanks x

We live in Sydney.  My dd has experienced very basic assessments and 'eye balling' during ballet school auditions (associate program).  They were conducted by dance teachers - not physio's - before the barre work began.

To understand your child's facility (current and potential), I highly recommend an ongoing relationship with a dance physio. For example, as part of my dd's pre-pointe assessment she went to a dance physio who put her through a very thorough testing session.  The report provided measurements against norms and a list of exercises for her to work on before returning for re-testing.  The report was sent to her school and this information dictated when and whether a student could start pointe work.  It is the norm that students visit the physio on an on-going basis e.g. if no issues it is to get new excercises to help with their continual improvement.

Here is a rough list of the categories in the Report: Spine (leg lengths, signs of scoliosis, pelvic alignment, low back mobility and control, and abdominal control), Pelvis (control during single leg squat and hopping tasks), Hips (turnout potential – passive and active ranges, flexibility of hip flexor and gluteal strength), Hamstrings (flexibility, kneecap alignment and flexibility, knee active hyperextension), Plie range, Ankles (active pointe range mobility), Feet (big toe dorsiflexion, arches and presence of bunions), Balance (quiet balance), and Hypermobility Assessment

• Like 4

I don't have much to add to DD Driver's excellent post. :) 

A good dance Physio is invaluable if you want a thorough assessment of physical suitability for full-time training.  With regards to stretching at home, I wouldn't advise self-prescribed stretching, in the same way as I wouldn't advice self-medicating, if that makes sense?  

I think RBS JAs are given exercises in class which is one thing, but if a young dancer takes it upon herself to start stretching, there's a danger of over-stretching and injury.  

At some auditions you might find flexibility tests like sitting in "frogs" etc. but that only really measures looseness in the hip joints; it doesn't measure "active" turnout which requires strength and the ability to feel and engage the appropriate muscles to hold the turnout.  However a good Dance Physio can measure both passive and active facility and prescibe personalised exercises.  

• Like 4

Splits are not really relevant at the age you're talking about. At age 11 they look for potential. They'll be looking for body proportions (eg relation of torso to legs), active and passive turnout, innate flexibility, and musicality. And you need to remember (re Anna C's excellent advice) that stretching actually works by micro-tears of the muscle, so if done incorrectly or at the wrong time (eg in the middle of exercise requiring strength such as a ballet class) stretching can actually work against the goals of a dancer. Best done at the end of the day's classes, and also only when thoroughly warmed up. 

• Like 5

excellent- thinking of formal physio assessment  just to be sure all on right track before pointe shoes next year/puberty starts to really hit ....  she loves dance  but as a mum iam acutely aware how much the body shape and workings can make or break  trying to 'make it' .... and would never want to encourage down paths  that could do more harm than good ....we have a physio iam  going to contact  xxxxx

• Like 1