Baking advice sought.

Pups_mum

Absolutely nothing to do with dance, but I'm sure there must be some accomplished cooks round here who can offer me some advice!

Our local agricultural show is on Wednesday and my children's school have asked for donations to their fundraising cake stall. The only problem is that I'll be at work all day on Tuesday so I'm going to have to bake my contributions on Monday. Can anyone suggest any good recipes for cakes or biscuits that won't go stale in that time? I don't normally have to worry about the longevity of cakes as anything I bake at home usually gets snaffled up before it's had time to get cold so I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I have a very good and quick recipe for a bar cookie (bisquit?) which you can put (unbaked) in your refrig over night and then bake (35 min) the day you need it. If this sounds like an answer to your problem - let me know and I'll type in the recipe.

Oooooh - I love tea-bread!!

I would have thought that most cakes would stay ok for a couple of days if you can store them in airtight containers.

Not that I have any talent or any recipes but when we used to have a charity cake stall in work lemon drizzle cake sold out very quickly followed by muffins. One lady who didn't bake bought scones, and did them with strawberries and cream - we sold out of them within 5 minutes!

I posted a couple of my friend's recipes here: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1209-healthy-cake/

Edited to add final sentence and change wording slightly.

cookies (biscuits) will definitely be ok for a couple of days but they're more time consuming to make than cakes are. Carrot cake keeps really well. Here's my recipe (in North American style, using cups rather than weights, sorry). It has half the fat of regular carrot cake recipes but is just as good! Also more fibre if you use whole wheat flour, and I swear people will never know.

3 eggs

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup (4 oz) oil

1/2 cup plain yogourt

1 tsp. vanilla

1 1/2 cups (200 g) flour (all whole wheat, or half and half whole wheat and white)

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

2 cups finely grated carrots.

Beat eggs and sugar together till light and fluffy, beat in oil and yogourt and vanilla. Beat in dry ingredients just till blended then stir in carrots. Add 1/2 cup walnuts and/or 1/2 cup raisins if liked. If it's looking too runny you might need to add some flour (carrots can vary quite a bit in moisture content).

Bake at 350 degrees in a 9 inch square pan for 45 minutes or until done. Or you can put it in muffin tins and call it muffins.

For a time when you have way more time on your hands and you need something ballet-themed, check out my pointe shoe cookie recipe: http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2012/08/pointe-shoe-cookie-recipe-how-to.html

One thing definitely not to bake in advance is scones, because they're really only good on the day they're made.

traffic light biscuits (any biscuit recipe, make them in rectangles and then stick on red, yellow and green smarties with a dab of icing)

Not thought of that. We used to cut 3 half-depth holes out with an apple corer and then, I suppose, put strawberry, greengage jam and lemon curd (or maybe marmelade?) in the holes.

I take the cookie dough and rolll it between my hands (like clay) into a long rope. Place rope on cookie tray and make a depression down the center of the rope. Fill the depression with any kind of fruit preserve like cherry, strawberry, apricott, ) then bake. When it is baked - remove from oven and cut the rope into two inch sections. Place on a rack to cool.

That way there's no rolling out - no cutting out - so it is very quick and easy and yet attractive.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. All those recipes sound excellent.

We had a lovely day yesterday. The sun shone (yes, really!) I made some quite passable biscuits and flapjack, and my son won 2nd prize in the children's handicraft section with a model of a pterodactyl made from an old pointe shoe, a wire coat hanger and worn out ballet tights!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...