The secrets of New York City Ballet’s pointe shoe room

Jan McNulty

Wow! Just returned from nyc where we were lucky enough to see nycb's Romeo & juliet. There were worn Pointe shoes available to buy at the merch stand signed by the dancer & performance date...this article explains why! Such a lovely theatre.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TutuTaxi said:

There were worn Pointe shoes available to buy at the merch stand signed by the dancer & performance date...this article explains why! Such a lovely theatre.

I think most North American ballet companies do this, certainly the National Ballet of Canada does.

• Like 3

That's a great article, and a good point about becoming used to one particular Freed maker.  When "Keymaker" left, my daughter had to try 4 or 5 different Makers to find a similar feeling shoe.  In the recent short film during the Winter's Tale about Lauren Cuthbertson's pre-show preparations, there's a shot of a huge pile of pointe shoes on the dressing room floor.  Cuthbertson explains that she's struggling with her shoes at present, so is trawling through the pile of old shoes to find a good pair.   I know she wears Freed and wondered then if her Maker is ill or has left. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Anna C said:

That's a great article, and a good point about becoming used to one particular Freed maker.  When "Keymaker" left, my daughter had to try 4 or 5 different Makers to find a similar feeling shoe.  In the recent short film during the Winter's Tale about Lauren Cuthbertson's pre-show preparations, there's a shot of a huge pile of pointe shoes on the dressing room floor.  Cuthbertson explains that she's struggling with her shoes at present, so is trawling through the pile of old shoes to find a good pair.   I know she wears Freed and wondered then if her Maker is ill or has left. 

I used to wear keymaker freeds too and it was a nightmare trying to find another shoe that suited me as well! 

• Like 1