This is an update of a previous topic but I'm starting a new one as the title of the first one focused on the possible participation of ENB, which is not now taking place; will moderators amend it if necessary.

The website of La Seine Musicale, the venue for the Paris summer dance festival this year, now lists the companies and ballets to be performed in June.

Programme 1: June 25-27                                Programme 2 : June 28-30

Miami City Ballet   :In the Night                                                 : Miami City Ballet   : In the Night

NYCB  : Dances at a Gathering                                                  :Pacific North West : Opus 19/The Dreamer

Joffrey: Interplay                                                                          : Miami City Ballet   :Other Dances

NYCB   : Suite of Dances                                                             : Perm Opera Ballet Theatre :Four Seasons

So ENB will not be involved. But at least they are doing The Cage at Sadler's Wells whereas the Royal are not doing any Robbins this season, not even Fancy Free in the Bernstein triple.

At the same venue, July 3-7, Pacific North West will be presenting 2 programmes of ballets by contemporary choreographers including Pite, Jessica Lang, Forsythe, Millepied, Tharp

• Like 6

Sorry to hear about ENB ... but delighted about OPUS 19 ... One of my all time favourites :) - and speaking of PNB I SOOOOO recall those extraordinary performances of that same with the luminous Peter Boal (then a NYCB principal) and Wendy Whelan - once seen/never forgotten - and delighted at Interplay .... another great 'company' work.  It will be interesting to see Suite of Dances without Baryishnikov .... as I'm not sure I've ever seen it without him.  Perhaps Tyler Angle??? That would do me just fine :)   Shame no more Robbie Fairchild.  Could see him in that no problem.  

See you there Sheila .... ;)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

I realise that the vast majority here probably have never (understandably) seen Opus 19/The Dreamer ... so I thought I would attach this link of a full performance by the POB:

I so wish the RB could at some point take this on.  They could make a wonderful fist of it just now.  I long to see people like Sissens, Hay or Richardson in that lead role ... aside, say, a breakout occasion for Katsura, O'Sullivan or Gasparini.  It also could fit just so many varied triple bills.  Just think of it aside the pungent apogees of a McGregor or those obsessive purls of Scarlett.  Indeed I think this would sit brilliantly against a revival of the latter's SYMPHONIC DANCES.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I realise that the vast majority here probably have never (understandably) seen Opus 19/The Dreamer ... so I thought I would attach this link of a full performance by the POB:

I so wish the RB could at some point take this on. 

It was in the rep briefly in the 1980s with a first cast of Cynthia Harvey and Jonathan Cope. I didn't see it then - but have a possibly erroneous memory that it wasn't rhat well received.

• Like 2

Yes. You are quite right, Paul.  I should have checked.  I wasn't living in the UK at that time having left at 19 just after I graduated from Cambridge.  

I am sorry that people didn't like it.  That said I'm glad they are doing it in Paris.

The details - as you suggest - are as follows: 

Opus 19/The Dreamer - 8 October 1986 Evening 

Ballet: Performance details

Company: The Royal Ballet
Venue: Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London
Performance status: Original season
Conductor Isaiah Jackson
Leader Richard Friedman
Cast
Dancer   Cynthia Harvey
Dancer   Jonathan Cope
Dancer   Tracy Brown
Dancer   Kathryn Dunn
Dancer   Deborah Jones
Dancer   Elizabeth Otter
Dancer   Fionuala Power
Dancer   Nicola Tranah
Dancer   Mark Freeman
Dancer   Sergiu Pobereznic
Dancer   Bruce Sansom
Dancer   Christopher Saunders
Dancer   Jeremy Sheffield
Dancer   Neil Skidmore
Solo Violin   Elisabeth Perry
    The Orchestra of Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet
Notes: Part of the London Dance Festival 1986, supported by Westminster City Council.
Event: Number 3 in The Royal Ballet mixed programme 8 October 1986
Information source: Royal Opera House programme for 8 October 1986 (in Royal Opera House Collections)

Interesting to hear Robbie Fairchild (ex-NYCB but now known in London for Musical Theatre) talk about it here.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

It was the opening night of Dowell's Directorship, wasn't it? And people  looked at it as a sort of statement of intent.

Programme was La Valse, then the 1st London performance of Bintley's Galanteries, then Opus 19, then The Concert.

I believe Bruce Sansom did one performance of Opus 19 but I don't know if there was a second cast for Cynthia Harvey.

• Like 1

Replying to MauriceC, no I don't know the venue yet. It's brand new, just a year old, very modern architecture, looks a bit like The Sage at Gateshead, and the centre as a whole holds a lot (6k or 4k, depending on what you read) but I think there are different spaces within the venue so the theatre area may be ok. The director, Choplin, has just resigned which may not augur well; he was (may still be) the director of the Chatelet. It's in a suburb  a little way our of the centre of Paris, on a small island of the Seine (which previously housed a big Renault factory!) and seems to be accessible via metro line 9. There are hotels and restaurants in the vicinity.

I am going to have a 'reccy' next month, between 2 performances of Onegin, so if you, Bruce W or anyone wants further information,  just get in touch.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

First, apologies, my original posting contained an error. The details for the 2nd programme were correct but the 1st programme does not include In the Night (which is just scheduled for programme 2) but Glass Pieces (Joffrey).

Second, I visited the Seine Musicale yesterday, to book seats and case the joint.

Apparently the stalls area (parterre) is fairly flat so I was advised to book further back where it is more tiered, (Tribune, rows I, J, K) for the top price: Or/gold category) The best seats at the next price are apparently in Mezzanine: category 1). I'm afraid I don't know about cheaper seats.

If you are able to book for both programmes there is a reduction in price for both tickets (approximately 15%)

The venue is in an area with a lot of construction going on, big office buildings and blocks of flats. It reminded me of the Lowry some years back. 

The journey on the metro (line 9) doesn't take long from the centre of Paris, it took me just 26 minutes from Richelieu- Drouot, 2 stops before the nearest one for the Opera (not the Opera metro station, which is a different line) the Chaussee d'Antin La Fayette, from where it probably takes 22 minutes. When you get to the terminus, Pont de Sevres, take exit 1. At the exit turn back and then turn right soon, from then on the venue is well signposted. It takes about 12 minutes to walk. There are quite a few steps in some places, especially to get to the pedestrian bridge over the Seine to reach the venue, but there are lifts.

As the area didn't especially appeal to me and the journey from the centre is quite good I will stay in the centre.

• Like 2