Lecture: Digging up Giselle, 11th January

• 2 months later...

Sounds interesting, and it's free. Lecture by Keith Cavers under the aegis of the Society for Theatre Research. Swedenborg Hall, London, 7.30pm on Jan 11.

Giselle is one of the most popular works in the modern ballet repertoire – we see it today in many productions some innovative and some traditional – but are any of them in any way ‘authentic’? By applying archaeological techniques to the ‘remains’ is it possible to form a clearer impression of the original production? I will be looking in detail at the vast range of visual evidence and the many various texts which form the foundation of modern productions – are those foundations as solid as they seem?

• Like 5

Keith spoke to me yesterday when he heard me discussing ballet with a friend at my budget hotel. When I explained I couldn't go as I live nearly 200 miles away he advised me that the talk will be streamed- see https://twitter.com/nrn_str for the You Tube link on the night

It sounds a fascinating talk, outlining how very different the original version was from the Giselle we love nowadays..

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

the talk will be streamed- see https://twitter.com/nrn str for the You Tube link on the night

SheilaC, might you clarify the exact Twitter link? The clickable one goes to an account which has been dormant for nearly ten years - and adding str doesn't help much. I understand that there won't be a YouTube link until the night but surely the Twitter link should work now: what am I doing wrong?

I see that if you finish the above link with nrn_str it takes you to a Twitter account for new STR researchers; if you finish it with TheSTR it takes you to the main STR Twitter account. I'm not sure where the talk will be streamed though.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Geoff said:

SheilaC, might you clarify the exact Twitter link? The clickable one goes to an account which has been dormant for nearly ten years - and adding str doesn't help much. I understand that there won't be a YouTube link until the night but surely the Twitter link should work now: what am I doing wrong?

As far as I know the Twitter account has the name @TheSTR. Sorry, I can't see how to post a direct link here. In recent months I have seen tweets there giving a YouTube link for live-streamed lectures.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I see that if you finish the above link with nrn_str it takes you to a Twitter account for new STR researchers; if you finish it with TheSTR it takes you to the main STR Twitter account. I'm not sure where the talk will be streamed though.

Sorry, I saw this after posting similar information above.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Lecture: Digging up Giselle, 11th January