hammond boarding

famcandance2

Hi

Has anyone had the experience or know of anyone who has been offered a Hammond place only to be told that there are no places in the girls boarding house? I would be very interested to know if there are any out there. If you feel uncomfortable answering on the forum, please feel free to pm me.

Thanks x

And gives you just that little extra bit of freedom :) ! The 3rd years have to find their own accomodation anyway so it doesn't hurt to do it earlier rather than later. And Tring is a nice little town, I certainly felt better about my ds living there at 16 rather than London.

• Like 1

Unfortunately my dd is only 13 and by law cannot find her own place. It would come down to private fostering with another family, and I feel it is a very large commitment to place on another family. Especially since we wouldn't be able to fetch her every weekend.

famcandance2 - I know that at Sylvia Young there are no boarding facitities and so the children who can't travel daily live with 'host' families from as young as 11. These host families usually have or have had a child at the school. It might be worth asking Hammond if they know of any families that might do this. The actual agreement is between you and the family so the school would not be involved in any way.

I was mainly wondering about girls starting this september at hammond who might be waiting for a boarding place. I have spoken to the school but they wouldn't give me names of families and refused to become involved. This is awkward because we are so far away that its difficult for us to try and organise anything from where we are. I know there is always some movement with folk pulling out at the last minute, so just wondered.

• Like 1

There are commercial organisations who act as "guardians" and help find host families. At Tring, some foreign 6th formers register with such companies, (who also look after foreign students at Harrow, Charterhouse etc.) As students are under 18 they need someone to be responsible for them during exeats and holidays if they are not returning hom. So perhaps if you do an internet search famcandance 2 you may find something.

Strangely in view of earlier posts, a couple of years ago Tring 6th formers were all sent a letter reminding them that they were not allowed to look for independent accommodation until they were going into third year, 6.3.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...