Ballet Retreat London

munchkin16

I'm thinking of signing up for the Ballet Retreat in London in November but can't make my mind up. Is it worth the money? I've asked about the levels and they said it can accommodate beginner through to advanced but I'm looking for some feedback from someone who's been.

What kind of level/hours of classes would get the most out of this? Do you need to be flexible or really in shape? Quick at picking up steps? I've never done anything like this so I'm looking for some personal experiences if anyone can help, especially as I'm not the most confident dancing in new environments! 

Jan has  pointed out   the thread that discusses  the August  Leeds  TBR ,  the London ones are the same core team  i.e. Hannah, David, and probably Gavin  ( as i don;t know whether they will drag Andrew  or  other Northern Ballet people who  contribute to the faculty in leeds  down to London  or  whether they use London based accompanists and  other dancer as  teachers)

There are people who attend  TBR  at all levels from  those who have only been  taking 1 or 2 hours a week  of  classes for  less than a year to people  who  are dancing at advanced levels and   taking  class everyday ... 

if you look at the class descriptions  of David's classes  at  Central  you'll see  he is just an interested in  beignners as he is  in  work with the  higest levels of professionals 

https://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/classdescriptions.php

I'd  count the 'company class'  as a   good all round class thatsoemone  who is used to an 'improvers' type class  would cope with perfectly adequately  , although there is a  no standardisation  in what constitutes what for adult class descriptions  and   different  peopel and different  teachers progress  classes  differently (  and that can be a functio nof class size as  a class  of  8 -12  students is   different to a class of 20 -30  to teach and correct  ,  and  that bigger class is unlikely to throw up the odd 'bargain  semi -private  / private  class'  when hardly anyone  shows up ... 

do you need to  be flexible ?  not necessarily  it's about working with  what you have  -   yes there are peopel on TBR who have beautful line,   near pro  levels of extension etc ...  but  there is no competition .  

do you need to be in shape ?  well in enough shape to  manage class , it;s not a competition ,  yes everyone is there becasue they  want  to challenge themselves but it;s personal challenge and  it's all about having fun  

quick at picking up steps ?   if you can cope when  you have a cover teacher  in your usual class or when your  usual teacher  has a bit of a rewrite of class  you'll cope  at TBR. 

the answer is  :  Do It  and  join the  crazy TBR  'family' ...  

unfortunately  i won;t be able to attend  the London TBR in November, but  I think some other contributors to balletcoforum who have commented on the other threads might  be  and  they'll be the crowd  of  regular's from David;s  Classes at Central who are a great  bunch of  guys and girls ... 

i'm down for Leeds in January ... 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies, I did take a look at the other thread but MPH your answers to my questions were really helpful.

I've been doing ballet for 6 years now so I'm sure I could do the steps it's just knowing whether I'd get a lot out of it or feel like I was trying to keep up.

My November at work is super busy so I'll be only able to make 1 class a week leading up to it so I just wanted to check I wouldn't be risking injury or being out of my depth. My class is a pretty open adult one at the moment so I'm sure it'll be a great different challenge! 

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all the great recommendations I signed up for this but now as it’s next week I was just wondering if anyone who has been has any suggestions on what to bring? They suggest a yoga mat or towel for warm up, is this useful? Any other advice would be welcome, or if anyone going wants to say hi! 

1 hour ago, munchkin16 said:

Thanks to all the great recommendations I signed up for this but now as it’s next week I was just wondering if anyone who has been has any suggestions on what to bring? They suggest a yoga mat or towel for warm up, is this useful? Any other advice would be welcome, or if anyone going wants to say hi! 

have you had the email from Hannah with  the  suggestions of what to bring  / expectations and etiquette stuff  ?  i think that covers most of it ...

-yes a towel or yoga mat  may well be useful  esp if you can;t do  laying on  hard / cold floors 
-a water bottle   with a flip /' twist  / drink through lid is also useful ( as only water allowed in the studio spaces ) 
 warm up boots / slipper socks are useful for  keeping feet warm  keeping the soles of the ballet shoes clean   and saves on faffign with footwear  even if it is only  soft shoes/ flats
- sense of humour  and sense of adventure 

and remember  in the immortal  words of DPK ' everyone loves a correction from Gavin ' !  - the team are  absolutely fab   

as i said before sadly  due to  real life  getting in  the way  I'm not at  this one  ( but  I am coming to Leeds in January)   - but such is the life of someone who works  in a logistics related role  for a retailer  it's 'black friday / cyber monday / christmas shopping ' time ...  all hands to the pump and  that..

• Like 1

With 6 years experience you'll be fine, David is really good at teaching a wide range or skills on the day anyway, normally I'd say you'd be very lucky as TBR books up months in advance but I did see Hannah posting that 2 spaces came free last week & they may not have gone yet.

Nicola has covered everything, these are immensely enjoyable events meticulously organised with a wonderful group of people in world class facilities.

• Like 2

I had intended on doing this but unfortunately the dates of our performances got changed so will now be in rehearsals for our show this Sunday .....also in wonderful studios ...lucky old us ..at the Rambert!! 

Will get to one of these eventually I hope!