Slippy floor for tap dance

PrancingMum

So not ballet related but I know that some of you have DC that are tappers.  DD did really well with her tap solo recently and has been asked to preform at a local event tomorrow.  We went there for a rehearsal this evening only to discover that the stage is carpeted.  The floor of the hall will be fine however it is quite slippy.  She was very good at the rehearsal and when we got home said nothing but has just come to me in tears (1.30am!!!) to say she is worried.  I can't recall the floor exactly but she said it is wooden with a varnish - any ideas what we can do?

Unless they would be happy to let you tip a can of coke on the floor, spread it all over and let it dry (yes, really!) it looks like you may have to say that unfortunately the floor is too slippery, and unsuitable for tap dancing. Is there a modern solo she could do instead, in bare feet? 

• Like 4

Ahhhh, village gala season! Over the years I have watched dd attempt tap on a shiny gym floor (it was very tentative!), ballet on gym mats (far too squishy!), and acro on a lumpy field (heart in mouth!). Now I would just say no if she can’t perform the dance properly on the surface - it just makes her miserable that an audience has seen an inferior performance. Agree with taxi4ballet - is there another dance she could do instead?

• Like 1