Associate scheme or private lessons?

Balletboyz

I have been lurking for a while but haven't contributed as my son has only been dancing for eighteen months and he has been doing one ballet lesson a week. His teacher said that he has potential so we had a go at auditioning for vocational school. He got offered a place but didn't get funding so we can't accept the offer. He has also been given a place on a good vocational school ballet associates scheme for September but his teacher has now got a weekly slot for a private lesson. The associate scheme will involve a lot of travelling and expense for a two hour lesson and he can't do the private lesson and the associates. I have no ideal which would be preferable. Obviously this is quite a general question and no one can really know but I would love some advice. Thank you! 

• Like 1

Thank you!  

He is eleven and I forgot to say that he absolutely loves dancing!  We are very restricted as to what we can do not have a large income and we live in a fairly rural area. I don't have a car so we walk, bike or use public transport. I would like to make the most of the opportunities that I can give him. The associates scheme will involve a lot of travelling using public transport and will take up most of the day, but these schemes seem to be important. 

Can the associate scheme offer any help with transport costs or possibly allow students/prospective students to contact each other in case lift-sharing is do-able? I would discuss the dilemma with his teacher and ask their opinion. Dancing with a good vocational school's associates scheme will allow your son to experience different teaching styles and alongside other talented children, as well as experiencing the boost of being associated with a vocational school and possibly professional experience dancing with a company if the school is attached to or has links with one.

I think I would lean towards the additional benefits of dancing with a good associate scheme, especially for a boy as he will hopefully have male company on the scheme. As he is talented enough to have secured a vocational school place, a good associate scheme could be the next best thing. 

• Like 8

Generally, training for ballet is better in open classes. Part of dancing professionally is dancing in large groups. And in a ballet class with others, there is the peer & group learning (eg learning from a correction given to others, watching the effect when a teacher adjusts an other student), and the general camaraderie and getting along in the dance world. You learn how to share space, how to move in relation to other bodies in the space - really important aspects of dancing professionally (don't get me started on how most people are spatially unaware in public space). 

This is certainly something that comes up with the US hothoused "phenoms" (as they call them) who are often trained privately. Anecdotally (and I know anecdote is not the singular of data!) I've heard that this is can be why these prize winning "Infant Phenomena" dancers often find company life (especially starting in the corps) difficult.

Ideally, your son would do regular classes, the Associates Scheme and a private lesson to work on specific issues. But it's generally recommended that privates are used for specific issues and competition coaching. If it's about him catching up, then the Associates classes might be better. He (and you) will also be able to meet other dancers & teachers outside your own studio & town. I think this is quite important in the education of artists.

• Like 8

I would say go with the associates for all the reasons mentioned above, plus the fact that it get's your DS face known by the vocational school and also may be more helpful for further vocational school auditions in the future.  My DD has done a number of associate programmes and only really had private lessons for competition solo's.  Got to say the travelling and cost of associates are well worth the experience for your child.

• Like 3

Along with asking if there is any bursary funding it travel assistance (I believe all RBS assoc can apply fir assistance?) them you could also look to see if there is a localised charity in your area which may help. Often small rural communities will have some such thing. Unlikely to help with fees for voc schools but there are those that would pay a few £100 towards a set course if training...we live very rural & have benefitted from small bursary from local arts club which has helped with cost if dance shoes....every little helps!! Good luck x

I think RBS contribute something to their associates who travel over a certain distance, could be 50%. How far would you have to travel, it's a twelve hour day for us on a Saturday, but like has been mentioned earlier, the experience gained has to be beneficial later in life.

It will be a forty minute walk, then an hour and a half train ride then a forty five minute walk or a fairly short bus ride. We will probably walk as it's cheaper unless the weather is bad. Half the time it's quicker than waiting for buses anyway. At least my son is quite fit anyway with all the walking and biking! I am going to ask if there is any possibility of burseries  etc. 

• Like 1