Royal Ballet School/Elmhurst

Newbiemum

Unfortunately I doubt anyone could really answer this question, or indeed accurately predict exactly what ANY of the schools are looking for. I'm sure it's multifactorial. It's easy to say and difficult to do, but honestly, I think it's better not to over think these things as virtually none of it is actually within our control.

• Like 1

There might also be an element of how things go on the day and who else is in the group?

like a job interview ( as arguably that is what   any audition process is )   regardless of how objective  all parties try to make it  will have that  uncertainty about it. 

it  might even be down to  the  panels and  the type of 'sparkle'  they like  fro mthe individual...  

sparkle in this case not referring to anythign to do with glitter or fairy dust , but  the intangible 'extra'  that  turns  the technically competent  and otherwsie  completely unobjectionable about   performance of a skill  into  some thing more than the sum of it's parts ... 

I've heard the tern  used   in a variety of trainign  / teaching settings all with that similar meaning  driving / sailing /  'alphabet soup'  short courses in healthcare 

(the 'alphabet soup' courses  are those  short ( usually a week or less)  courses in healthcare that  get used by employers / accreditors  as tick i nthe box that the individual has  a certain level fo skill in various things  - often resuscitation focused  but also trauma,  transfer of critical patients , initial managementof burns , various surgical things)

Thank you had been baffled by it , my DD trying to work things out from the girls she follows on Instagram , but you cant see someone's stage presence or musicality in a photo . I did see one child who is now at WL dance at a summer school and she was simply the most exquisite thing I'd ever seen .

• Like 1

Thank you had been baffled by it , my DD trying to work things out from the girls she follows on Instagram , but you cant see someone's stage presence or musicality in a photo . I did see one child who is now at WL dance at a summer school and she was simply the most exquisite thing I'd ever seen .

' Sparkle' in (a) performance  doesn't  come across in stills and  might not even come across in film/ video.

I think your comment about seeing the dancer who is now at WL  'in the flesh '  sums  up 'sparkle'. It;s the difference  between the 'journeyman'  and the Star  ...  but  that  comparison never stops   unless and  until you  are  an assoluta  in whatever you  do  and even then you will still be compared to  others  either of the past or the up and coming  whose sparkle shines through at every  rung  on the way  up. 

Sarahw i'd have to disagree- not to be awkward, but just to say in my (very) limited experience that wasn't the case at all. Out of dd's rbs Ja group, only 2 girls were offered Rbs finals, - they weren't offered elmhurst finals, and 1 girl was offered elmhurst finals but not rbs! She was also an elmhurst ja as well as rbs.

I guess it varies. In my dd year those with Royal finals also had Elmhurst but not all vice versa. The first choice offers by both schools were made to the same children and once they'd accepted Royal the Elmhurst (and other schools) waiting list kicked in.

However I know that many dc now choose orher schools as first choice. This makes more sense as it's horses for courses I think.....

And I agree about 'sparkle'. The girl in my dd JA class who got Royal had that above everyone else IMO.

Edited by sarahw