Photographs - what leotard for younger age

tropicmama

Hello, it's me again with my endless queries.  I did have a go at searching for an answer for my relatively simple (perhaps a bit mundane) question.  I found a few threads with lots of good tips but mine is actually just quite simpler, that at the end of the day it probably wouldn't matter but as a mum I cannot help thinking about it, especially since my DD is leotard mad and has quite a lot of "favourites" that she might insist wearing each one in turn.  She is in the process of applying for a couple of holiday courses that require photographs.  She's never had these done before.  She is only 7 so I was wondering, for those more experienced that we are, what would be the best colour/style of leotard to wear for her young age?  Dark or light colour?  Camisole type, sleeveless or capped sleeves?  She normally wears convertible tights to her class these days but should she wear socks for her photos?  Apologies in advance if my query might seem quite "shallow" but want to get it right first time around as I managed to ask her teacher to help with the photos after her lesson (mainly because I didn't even know half the terminology on the photo requirement list).

For the leotard, I would suggest sleeveless in a light colour that compliments her skin tone.

Have a good look at the requirements regarding socks or tights because some schools request socks or bare legs, in which case it would make sense to do the same for all. If none of the schools are specific about this, then whatever she prefers should be fine.

• Like 1

Thank you, I will make sure to bring a handful and then the teacher can probably help decide too.  It does sound like lighter colours are recommended for younger children more - although I can't help but notice that her black or navy blue ones look quite striking in contrast to her skin.  She does have a white sleeveless leotard, but I'm actually not that keen on it :unsure:

I recently found my dd's JA audition photographs taken when she was 8. She was wearing her regular class leotard (RAD burgundy) when they were taken, as back then she was the proud owner of exactly one leotard. Her friend who was auditioning with did exactly the same. So dark leotards not a bar to being offered a place.

My daughter wore navy age 8 because it suited her light skin and hair better (her normal RAD syllabus leotard) for both her photos and audition and I think it was a good call because everyone else was in either very light colours or brights. I'd say wear what she's comfortable in and what suits her.

My dd regular teacher had also recommended light colours for that young age but my dd and I both preferred the navy and so we went with that and it worked for us xx

Sure they see past the leotard anyway, but I always think slightly different to the majority can't be a bad thing xx

Edited by Balletmummy55