Research Help ..... "Satanella"/"Satanilla", Petipa/Mazilier

I am researching the Variation "Satanella" .... I understand that it was originally staged by Mazilier @ Paris Opera as "La Diable Amoureux" on 21/9/1840. I am hoping that someone can lead me to where it was first performed as Satanella  ,an authoritative source please rather than wikipedia.  Many thanks for any ideas.

Edited by Kat09

OK as the OP asks a lazy question, I will ask a lazy one back....are you sure it is Satanella you are researching? Given the obvious answer given by wikipedia with the original cast etc...if you are looking for the variation after "La Diable Amoureux" due to the obvious issues with the 'answer', the problem may be with the question.

EDIT: The OP may not be very internet Savvy, but a bit of time to describe the research so far, especially when the obvious answer gives so many leads,would let us understand that they have 'tried their very best'

given that the answer with multiple sources (including the original theatre) can be found in less than 5 minutes.

Edited by SwissBalletFan

SBF there is no need to take that rather unpleasant tone in your post.

The OP doesn't have to justify herself.

Furthermore I frequently find that Wikipedia information has to be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Thanks Janet ... I have done research I just need to quote an authoritative source - Wikipedia is not regarded as such!! Swissballetfan ... how rude!! :P

Thanks Janet ... I have done research I just need to quote an authoritative source - Wikipedia is not regarded as such!! Swissballetfan ... how rude!! :P

Research? well, as you asked for some tips on where to look, I think my post pointed you in the right direction.

Janet.... there are many users of this forum, with (happily) very much differing levels of experience, background, views, education, and manners etc..

It is your view that 'the poster doesn't need to justify herself', however asking for help, when the answer is really very easily found within 3 searches of sources using the original wikipedia information, which is all correct except for one very important point, which I was trying to point out. I was taught that you should only ask for help once you have tried all obvious choices, we are all busy people after all..

However Janet, thanks for making me feel as personable as 'Sherlock', in this case, one needn't have such brain power to understand that with my 'rude' answer, you could very easily find what I was getting at....

So, as Sherlock has finished, and you are online Kat09, really, how long does it take to get all of the hints I was giving you to find the most authoritative of sources. (the theatre's website) .. tick tock, tick tock...

OK, maybe now I feel more like Moriarty.

EDIT Pride comes before a fall...I did not check the link (rather the address) of the website, so I was wrong about the original theatre website.

The point is that because of course the original choreography was by Petipa & Petipa...the naming of the ballet is originally referenced as Satanilla rather than Satanella due to the translation of the cyrillic alphabet.

Edited by SwissBalletFan

UPDATE Pride comes before a fall...I did not check the link (rather the address) of the website, so I was wrong about the original theatre website.(which referred back to the wikipedia)

Of course the original choreography was by Petipa & Petipa...the naming of the ballet is originally referenced as Satanilla rather than Satanella due to the translation of the cyrillic alphabet.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 1

UPDATE Pride comes before a fall...I did not check the link (rather the address) of the website, so I was wrong about the original theatre website.(which referred back to the wikipedia)

Of course the original choreography was by Petipa & Petipa...the naming of the ballet is originally referenced as Satanilla rather than Satanella due to the translation of the cyrillic alphabet.

always thankful for knowledge shared by those more learned than myself - thank you

Janet.... there are many users of this forum, with (happily) very much differing levels of experience, background, views, education, and manners etc..

It is your view that 'the poster doesn't need to justify herself', however asking for help, when the answer is really very easily found within 3 searches of sources using the original wikipedia information, which is all correct except for one very important point, which I was trying to point out. I was taught that you should only ask for help once you have tried all obvious choices, we are all busy people after all..

However Janet, thanks for making me feel as personable as 'Sherlock', in this case, one needn't have such brain power to understand that with my 'rude' answer, you could very easily find what I was getting at....

So, as Sherlock has finished, and you are online Kat09, really, how long does it take to get all of the hints I was giving you to find the most authoritative of sources. (the theatre's website) .. tick tock, tick tock...

You could have responded courteously rather than being rude and patronising. You are obviously very knowledgeable and have given valuable comments on many threads but rudeness is not becoming.

• Like 7

SBF, I'm a librarian (in training) and while I applaud information literacy education, that's not the right way to go about it. Kat09 asked for ideas, not criticism.

I'd be happy to point anyone to a collection of archives and dance history resources if asked for.

• Like 10