Contemporary summer school

IBD23

Has anyone experience of their dc doing summer school focussing mainly on contemporary dance (not street or hiphop or the like!)? I know Rambert do one but dd is 17 and maybe would be older than most? She's mostly classical ballet but wants to improve her contemporary next year.

National Dance Company Wales do a very good one which I think is from about 14 or 15+ and Northern Contemporary Dance School offer a number of summer schools which are by age or level.  Neither have accommodation included but the Welsh one has a hostel within the same building complex where a lot of them stay. We looked at both for DD but could not manage the dates but she has friends that have done one or the other and thoroughly enjoyed. The friends would have been in the 16-18 age category when attending and most of them at vocational school

http://www.ndcwales.co.uk/en/get-involved/dance/courses/ - the summer school is not yet on their website but the link takes you to their next short course

http://www.nscd.ac.uk/learning-participation/summer-school/ - preliminary information - when you apply it is usually broken into different groups

• Like 1

Northern Contemporary do a fabulous summer school, though no accommodation, but they will put you in touch with local places to stay and Leeds is very accessible.  My dd is on the CAT programme there and the studio's and tuition are fabulous.  I can really recommend the summer school and students go to 18/19 I think.  My dd goes and she will be 17 by then.

DD may do the LSC Summer school again, and if she does will be 18. Definitely at least one 18 year old last year. We enjoyed watching the showing at the end also. If you have any questions Cris Penfold who oversees is very helpful if you have any queries, and very quick to reply to emails.

The National dance company of Wales summer school I think was from age 11, this year it was split into two groups younger and older. They also do an Easter course and dance days throughout the year.

Edited by janice and ellen
  • Like 1

LSC don't have any of their own accomodation but produce a list of recommendations. It's a mix of B&B, hotels etc. DD traveled from home although a long trip, soon first hand experience of this. Cris Penfold would advise about this. Will ask DD about boys participating last year.

• Like 1

Has anyone experience of their dc doing summer school focussing mainly on contemporary dance (not street or hiphop or the like!)? I know Rambert do one but dd is 17 and maybe would be older than most? She's mostly classical ballet but wants to improve her contemporary next year.

Rambert do an adult one which i did when i was 17 (as long as you have dance experience i think it's fine and there was a really mix of ability when i went) and it was fantastic, a perfect mix of ballet and contemporary! depending on your location i also recommend the hot house dance summer school and two thirds sky, they both mainly focus on contemporary but bring in other styles too! 

• Like 1