Condition of pointe shoes for auditions

My dd likes pointe shoes (and dances her best in them) when they are very nearly dead. By this time they are also dirty, dance studios being what they are and worn on the platform. Is this a big deal for auditions, or should everything be pristine? Thanks for any advice!

Neat and clean yes, pristine I wouldn't think so. 

After all whether it is a leotard or shoes the pupil wants to be wearing something that is comfortable and used to. 

A new leotard could slip down or ride up. 

Shoes need to feel comfortable (as well as expected). 

Calamine works very well with satin and maybe freshen up the darning if necessary. Even replacing the ribbons if looking a tad frayed. But definitely stick to what has all been tried and tested. Except for tights, nice and new always carry a spare, just in case. ;)  

• Like 2

I did not know of this use of calamine! Thankyou - sounds very useful , I’ll be buying a bottle :)

Invisiblecircus - dd averages about 3 hours a week on pointe and her shoes last about 4 months, although I buy a pair every 3 months so there is an overlap between the pair being broken in and the ones on their way out. For her, they are at there best after about 6 weeks.  

• Like 2

I did not know of this use of calamine! Thankyou - sounds very useful , I’ll be buying a bottle :)

Invisiblecircus - dd averages about 3 hours a week on pointe and her shoes last about 4 months, although I buy a pair every 3 months so there is an overlap between the pair being broken in and the ones on their way out. For her, they are at there best after about 6 weeks.  

Ensure you shake the bottle well, Apply with a cotton wool bud, gently, no hard rubbing, dries very quickly. 

Have used this technique for quite a while, it eliminates the shine of the satin especially under stage lights.

If using Calamine on soft shoes just stuff the shoe with socks to hold the shape and push out any creases.  Socks can easily be washed afterwards. 

For any auditions or even exams always allow your DD to wear what she is comfortable in. Good Luck

• Like 2

It might be a good idea to have another pair on the go as well and alternate them, so that the pair being worn in class can be left to dry out in between wears.

• Like 2