Interesting piece on pointe shoes/feet

drdance

That's really interesting. I was just trying to understand the width element as my dd went from having quite a narrow grisko from Dancia to a wider shoe at Freed.

The explanation was about supporting her foot well but giving room for her metatarsals to work more apparently

Damned if I understand it all :)

Very interesting drdance, learnt some new things there. Trouble is, sometimes my feet contradict themselves in what they seem to need :S 

I get bruised toenails/toenail broken through pressure on corner particularly on my right foot (big toes only). Also shoe tends try to twist so shank is diagonal, and I tend to regularly lose a couple of layers of skin on side of little toes.  Freed said shoe probably fitting too wide and allowing foot to slide and sink into shoe; Bloch said fitting too narrow and went wider. 

Think we need to persuade Just Ballet to do a fitting tour of the UK...

I would thoroughly recommend Helene at Dancique. My DD would get a good fitting at Freed but within a few weeks the shoes (and any new ones) caused problems. It was a constant battle. It's difficult for our young dancers who do not really know what a shoe should feel like. We educated ourselves using the website given on here and discovered DD had a compressible foot meaning that off pointe/flat on the floor she looked wide but when en pointe in the shoe her metatarsals were compressing and she was sinking into her shoe causing bruised toenails and severe pain in her toe joints. We went armed with this knowledge to Dancique and they fitted her with a beautiful shoe that has literally allowed her to keep dancing.

• Like 1