How precious life is.

Lisa O`Brien

Just come back from the funeral Mass of a 14 year old boy who died on Friday. Although I don't know the family they are local to me and the lad attended Sean's former school. Hundreds there, of course, and like so many others I was listening to the service  on the loudspeaker outside. The Belfast Telegraph said he took his own life but the family are saying it was an accident. I think he had had an argument with his parents and stormed off upstairs and maybe did something to "scare them and teach them a lesson." That's what we were told the other night by a friend of Sean's who lives near them. Guess we'll never know. Lots of familiar faces there, including our MP who lives locally and my neighbours,and a guard of honour from pupils of St. Pauls High School. When it's a funeral in Ireland, everyone goes and pays their respects, regardless of whether you knew them personally or not. It's just to show solidarity. The couple also have two daughters and I guess none of their lives will ever be the same. That poor family.

I agree Legseleven. Having lost a much loved friend recently, to a sudden and horrible organ failure, the shock and finality of that person being gone forever is hard to accept. But we did at least know why and that there was nothing anyone could have done to prevent it. I can't imagine what it is like to lose somebody in circumstances where you are left with not knowing why, only that the person is gone.

We hear about such terrible things happening to people, I wonder how those left behind carry on sometimes, even if they feel they have to for others.

• Like 1

I agree Legseleven. Having lost a much loved friend recently, to a sudden and horrible organ failure, the shock and finality of that person being gone forever is hard to accept. But we did at least know why and that there was nothing anyone could have done to prevent it. I can't imagine what it is like to lose somebody in circumstances where you are left with not knowing why, only that the person is gone.

We hear about such terrible things happening to people, I wonder how those left behind carry on sometimes, even if they feel they have to for others.

Jacqueline, I am sorry for your recent loss.x

• Like 1