EU Referendum Petition.

Lisa O`Brien

Looks like we will get a parliamentary debate after all.  

I have just received an email from the petitions team with the following information:

"The Petitions Committee has decided to schedule a House of Commons debate on this petition. The debate will take place on 5 September at 4.30pm in Westminster Hall, the second debating chamber of the House of Commons. The debate will be opened by Ian Blackford MP.

The Committee has decided that the huge number of people signing this petition means that it should be debated by MPs. The Petitions Committee would like to make clear that, in scheduling this debate, they are not supporting the call for a second referendum. The debate will allow MPs to put forward a range of views on behalf of their constituents. At the end of the debate, a Government Minister will respond to the points raised.

A debate in Westminster Hall does not have the power to change the law, and won’t end with the House of Commons deciding whether or not to have a second referendum. Moreover, the petition – which was opened on 25 May, well before the referendum – calls for the referendum rules to be changed. It is now too late for the rules to be changed retrospectively. It will be up to the Government to decide whether it wants to start the process of agreeing a new law for a second referendum."

Even without this petition some kind of debate would have been necessary as the legislature will have to repeal or amend the European Communities Act 1972 at some stage or other. Also, the ministerial team in charge of  the withdrawal negotiations will be accountable to MPs.

I signed the petition not expecting Parliament to reverse the referendum (which for all its many faults did produce a plurality decision that has to be respected) but to exert pressure on politicians not to get carried away and destroy bridges that could and should remain intact.

I think it is likely that this country or at least parts of it will rejoin the European project one day though perhaps not in my lifetime.  

Regardless of politics I will continue to build and strengthen business, cultural and social links with the remaining EU states including my financial support for the Dutch National Ballet as a Friend of that company.

• Like 2

Ironically, the petition was actually started by a Brixiteer, who thought Leave didn't have a hope in hell of winning, so worded it to say about the winning side needing to have a certain percentage, whichever side that happened to be.

• 2 weeks later...

If there is a second referendum, and the remain win, do we then make it best out of three? What a farce, the people voted so we should accept it. Personally I voted to remain, and to be honest I was almost 50 / 50 at the ballet box. We don't seem to be doing as bad as the remain party suggested, and quite a few countries are queuing up to set up tariff free trade deals with us, we'll see.

We have General Elections every so often, one Party wins - but nobody expects that opposition to its policies should cease, and nor does it.  The Scottish Referendum in 2014 has done anything but settle the separation issue - indeed we have 50+ MPs at Westminster arguing against the outcome.  Argument about Europe has continued since the 1975 Referendum - remember UKIP's foundation in the early 90s and John Major's 'bastards' later that decade?  So, is there any reason to think that 23 June 2016 will be the last word across the land?  It's politics, and that generates dispute.  And that may well make it harder to get a settlement with the EU accepted on this side of the Channel than over there.

• Like 3