Research request: Quick survey

drdance

Tried to complete the survey but the selection on question 6 doesn't seem to be working properly; if I tick the 'no pain' box for say right leg splits, then the same for left leg, the tick kind of 'hops' to just fill the 2nd box not the first one I clicked....

Guest Autumn days

I am afraid that I am a little shocked by this! The survey almost seems to normalise unnatural positions that are not necessary for ballet and to be practising them at home for several hours a week. As far as asking if this causes pain - I would like to hope that all teachers tell their students that pain is not natural and therefore to stop as soon as anything causes pain.

From recent facebook postings from Dr dance I think it's her concern about the phenomenon of these unnatural positions that has caused the research project in the first place.

I read through the survey & don't think its normalising it at all, just trying to find out who does this kind of stretching & what the effects are.

• Like 3

Hi, thanks for your comments. Good idea Pictures. Sadly 'Mum in a spin' I am encountering some teachers who DO normalise these positions, who tell their pupils "No Pain, No Gain", and believe that anyone daring to speak out against this dangerous practice must be jealous.

As Pictures has said, I am concerned about the impact of such training on young dancers' bodies and it needs investigating. This is the first step.

• Like 6

And even if teachers do tell their students not to do this, it doesn't mean they get listened to! DD has shown me pictures on social media of girls from her dance school practising these positions and I am absolutely sure that not only has their teacher not advised it, but she would be horrified if she saw some of the pictures.

Unfortunately there are more outside influences on our children now than ever before and Facebook, instagram etc are very big factors, as well as certain tv shows of course. There almost seems to be a cult of extreme flexibility, and pictures on social media turn some young dancers into celebrities amongst their peers virtually.

I find it very worrying, mostly because of the risks of injury and long term damage of course, but also because I think it detracts from the real beauty and artistry of dance. Too many youngsters now seem to think that the quality of a dancer can be judged by how high they can get their legs, and little else.

I widh drdance lots of luck with the project as anything that challenges this trend has to be a good thing.

• Like 11

Guest Autumn days

I see many pictures of things like the tilte. I cannot help but wonder why these moves are evn being taught as part of ballet!m if the students are taught them in class they will probably practice them! I agree that there is over emphasis on things like this and over splits etc and it isn't very pretty. - or safe!

I am interested to know how the research you are conducting can help to prevent this - I hope it does!

Edited by mum in a spin

If you don't practice over splits etc it still requires an answer for this in the pain section? You may want to ask whether they do any other activities involving stretching (karate, gym etc) aswell as not all of the stretching is dance related!