Stage Water

meadowblythe

Hi all

Not sure if I am hallucinating, but I am sure I have heard mention of stage water.  It looks like water, acts like water, but doesn't drench the audience/cast.

Has anyone else ever come across such a thing?  For my upcoming production of The Wizard of Oz.  And if anyone has about 6 great coats lying around ...

Meadowblythe

I will ask around meadowblythe ! I also have a production of the Wizard of Oz coming up at the end of the year, albeit seemingly on a much smaller scale, it's for little performers (and I'm not talking munchkins) - fake water hasn't even crossed my mind ! x

I believe sand is used in some cases - perhaps mainly for downpours?

Also believe (courtesy of my old conjuring book!) that sodium silicate (aka waterglass) can be used to stop water wetting in certain circumstances, but imagine that would be costly in bulk - if it works.

Well this was a long time ago in the 70's but I danced the Broom in the Sorcerers Apprentice in an Amateur production and had

enormous fun chucking very small pieces of I think just shiny silver very thin card or may have been paper ....about the stage as water!!

May be more fancy and realistic stuff available now but I think (and hope) the audience got the gist!

• Like 1

I remember something like this in pantomime many years ago. One of the 'comedy' characters used to run at the audience brandishing a bucket of 'water'. It contained a sort of gel that would come out of the bucket and then sort of go back in. There was a knack in the throwing but it was very effective as everyone would scream and duck, expecting a soaking. I recall it came from a joke shop, something similar possibly to be found on line nowadays.

That sounds like the sort of thing !

I suspect many of my more ambitious ideas will get cut back over the next few weeks.  I wrote a risk assessment for using a dog in a school production last year, unfortunately the proposed Bullseye (last year was Oliver!) turned out to be a very cute minature Jack Russell.  You have no idea how hard it was to tell her owner (and all 6 foot 5 of Bill Sykes) that she didn't fit the brief.  Hoping to use her this year as Toto.  Similarly apparently a pyrotechnic broom and the Scarecrow on a small stage are not a good idea.  All the pleading in the world about fire retardant straw is cutting no ice.

• Like 1