Vaganova Academy training - lower grades

Yaffa

Amongst the many great videos of the Vaganova Academy (How wonderful that they've been recording their annual exams for years...), I've found the newish "ballet flowers" YouTube channel particularly interesting.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7kg6VMzxoR7K9j20d-EDBg

Some months ago the channel owner uploaded videos of the entire first, second and third year classical ballet exams of one class of (now 4th year) girls. There were also videos of their "historical dance" class exams - quite rare on YouTube. In the last few days, some more videos have been added: the entire exam of the same girls in Year 0 (i.e. age around 10 - the year before some of them were accepted to full time training). There are also some new videos of the same students in recent performances.

Below is a Google Translate of the text accompanying the Year 0 video:

Exam at the preparatory department ARB them. AY Vaganova. Class teacher LI Komolova.
Our channel talks about training at the Academy of Russian Ballet. AY Vaganova an example of one class, as they grow and mature. During one academic year girls aged 10 years engaged in the preparatory department ARB them. AY Vaganova with teacher Lyudmila Ivanovna Komolova first became acquainted with the basics of classical choreography, developed a professional data, preparing to enter. After the exam, many girls have been recommended for admission, successfully passed the qualifying rounds in June 2011 and later formed a whole class of the Academy of Russian Ballet. Fifth year young ballerina engaged under the leadership of his beloved teacher Lyudmila Ivanovna Komolova, their achievements and successes, concert performances, rehearsals and video exams you can see on the channel "ballet flowers". Happy viewing!

Yaffa

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

The Vaganova Academy continues to put out a wealth of fascinating material on their website, social media channels etc. Today rt.com released a 30 minute documentary focusing on children who auditioned for this year's intake. It has a rather different slant from earlier audition videos (though there are still the tears of sadness and joy as children are told their audition results on the spot and in public) - I found it particularly interesting to follow the case of a small girl who had formerly studied rhythmic gymnastics rather than ballet.

https://rtd.rt.com/films/dance-of-the-little-swans/

Wishing all the best to families awaiting audition results...

• Like 2

I find it so frustrating that I have virtually no recordings of my son dancing after he went to WL and Elmhurst (just the performances I recorded at the WL summer fairs). I love these Vaganova videos. I don't understand why the schools didn't at least offer parents the chance to buy recordings of the end of year shows. Grrr.

• Like 8

I find it so frustrating that I have virtually no recordings of my son dancing after he went to WL and Elmhurst (just the performances I recorded at the WL summer fairs). I love these Vaganova videos. I don't understand why the schools didn't at least offer parents the chance to buy recordings of the end of year shows. Grrr.

Great minds ... We were having the same moan in our household last night! An old teacher asked for some current photos and we realised we don't have any. Vocational school has been a huge part of my dd life over the last 6 years and the only record we have are a few photos taken for the summer show programme in year 8. They film the performances for the school records but won't release it for sale as say the quality wouldn't be good enough. With the restriction on ticket sales per family I'm sure they would easily sell plenty of discs to pay the costs of a professional filming company.

The lack of recording encourages parents to film on their phone/iPads during performances which is distracting for the dancers on stage.

• Like 3

The link I gave in the post below is for a 27 minute documentary. They have just put up an extended version, 48 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3J5adKwAKg

The Vaganova Academy continues to put out a wealth of fascinating material on their website, social media channels etc. Today rt.com released a 30 minute documentary focusing on children who auditioned for this year's intake. It has a rather different slant from earlier audition videos (though there are still the tears of sadness and joy as children are told their audition results on the spot and in public) - I found it particularly interesting to follow the case of a small girl who had formerly studied rhythmic gymnastics rather than ballet.

https://rtd.rt.com/films/dance-of-the-little-swans/

Wishing all the best to families awaiting audition results...

[Edited for clarity]

Edited by Yaffa
  • Like 4