Thoroughly, utterly, disastrous day.

Lisa O`Brien

Hi Lisa,

Really hoping you get some good news on the uni front today.

From what I've read on this forum you are a fabulous Mum and you have given Sean the very best opportunity to attend Uni and improve his life chances.

If you could manage the cost of a journey for him alone it would be a valuable experience for him but if it's not needed for an offer then don't lose sleep over it. 

We have all felt inadequate as parents on multiple occasions - anyone who says not is lying!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sarahw said:

Hi Lisa,

Really hoping you get some good news on the uni front today.

From what I've read on this forum you are a fabulous Mum and you have given Sean the very best opportunity to attend Uni and improve his life chances.

If you could manage the cost of a journey for him alone it would be a valuable experience for him but if it's not needed for an offer then don't lose sleep over it. 

We have all felt inadequate as parents on multiple occasions - anyone who says not is lying!!!

Thank you Sarah. That's a lovely thing to say.

On 4/28/2017 at 23:39, Lisa O`Brien said:

Well Liverpool John Moores have rejected his application. Because he hadn't sent them the evidence of Prior Learning they asked for. Asked on The Student Room and people in the know on there say they probably assumed he wasn't interested. He hadn't sent it to them yet because he was waiting for all five Unis to reply to him first. But on UCAS it said nothing about any deadline for sending in the info. We thought he could wait until he had received all five offers and THEN send his BTEC results to them. Worried Man Met even though he has a Conditional Offer from them are going to do the same. Also worried Hope are going to do the same, even though they have asked for nothing. Someone said if you haven't heard from one or more of your choices by 5th May you can take it you have been rejected. He wasn't really interested in Liverpool John Moores anyway, but IS interested in Manchester Met and Liverpool Hope. Man Met want proof of his BTEC Level 3 result and the HND when he gets it, together with his Access NI certificate [ police background check]. But they haven't said when they want it all for. He needs to ring both Unis on Monday I think, just in case they are about to reject him too. 

HI Lisa

If you give the uni's admissions team a call then they will be happy to help you sort out what you need to send and when.  They are used to dealing with new students and parents who are not sure of procedure and what to do.  There is also quite a lot of information for parents on the UCAS website and some FAQ's that will help answer some of your queries.  

I'm sure everything will work out fine, and if you ring Liverpool John Moores and explain the situation then they will probably amend his status again and reopen his application.

Good luck

• Like 2

I agree with Huddsballetmum about trying to reopen the application. Young people are often not quite 'on it' when dealing with queries and requests for information from admissions teams. A friend's son who was applying for engineering was asked whether he had taken a particular maths module and he just said 'no', which looked a bit negative and could imply that he had chosen not to take it, rather than saying (truthfully) that the module was not offered by the school in year 12 (that particular year?). My friend found out about this afterwards and made him go back to the university and explain the situation more fully and in a more positive way (possibly the module was offered in year 13).

• Like 2

Thank you . Sean has been given a Conditional  offer by Liverpool Hope this evening, so is very pleased. It was always going to be down to a choice between Man Met and Hope. Has until 8th June to decide. So it's back over to England, just informally on our own, looking around the two unis before the deadline so he can choose which one he prefers. Fridays would be an ideal day for travelling, as he has college on Mondays and Tuesdays [ although things have pretty much wound down now and they aren't teaching anything else]. They just have to complete their assignments and hand them in. Wednesdays and Thursdays every week he is in the primary school. Like Man Met, Hope are only asking for a Pass grade in the HND. I'm skint and he is skint. So I sadly have no choice but to try and sell some of my very rare Moulin Rouge programmes, including a few from 1897, including an invitation to the Bal Des Quatr`z Arts at the MR in April 1894. I bought them for myself, obviously. But I also bought them as a sort of investment. I don't have any property to pass on to Sean, or jewellery or anything. The only thing I have of any monetary value are these programmes and some rare pointe shoes. The pointe shoes, even rare pairs, don't seem to sell very well. So I thought these programmes and invitations might. Yes, I wanted to keep them forever. But beggars can't be choosers and we need the money now. HE needs the money now; to be able to come to a decision. 

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 1

On 2017-5-2 at 12:42, sarahw said:

Regarding trains if you could book in advance and Sean use a student railcard it can reduce costs substantially.

Oh yes, meant to say Sarah. We booked train tickets from Liverpool to Manchester in advance with the Trainline.com, which reduced the price.Then return tickets from Manchester to Liverpool.  But they took 5 working days to arrive in the post, and only did so the day before . I thought they were not going to turn up in time and would have to buy them all over again at the station on the day. Two of my four Moulin Rouge programmes are selling on Ebay. Would be nice if the other two, more expensive ones sell too. Think i'll keep the money from the ones that sell safely in my PayPal account for now, rather than transferring it to my bank account, where it inevitably gets spent on groceries or whatnot.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

10 minutes ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

Oh yes, meant to say Sarah. We booked train tickets from Liverpool to Manchester in advance with the Trainline.com, which reduced the price.Then return tickets from Manchester to Liverpool.  But they took 5 working days to arrive in the post, and only did so the day before . I thought they were not going to turn up in time and would have to buy them all over again at the station on the day. Two of my four Moulin Rouge programmes are selling on Ebay. Would be nice if the other two, more expensive ones sell too. Think i'll keep the money from the ones that sell safely in my PayPal account for now, rather than transferring it to my bank account, where it inevitably gets spent on groceries or whatnot.

Sorry you're having to see your old programmes.  You might want to post a link here.

19 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Sorry you're having to see your old programmes.  You might want to post a link here.

Sorry I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to posting links. If you go on Ebay and just type in Moulin Rouge programmes you will see them. There are four i'm selling. 

9 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Link to eBay page found using criterium "Moulin Rouge programmes"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xmoulin+rouge+programmes.TRS0&_nkw=moulin+rouge+programmes&_sacat=0

I hope this is the right one Lisa.

Thank so much Jan. Yes. Mine are Son Altesse L'Amour which the lovely Gaby Deslys appeared in. [ She was a singer destined for greatness but died tragically young. So beautiful as well.] from 1908 which I am selling for £48. Then one starring Lena Horne currently selling for £12.00. Then one with an orange cover from around 1910 for £25 [ I paid more for it]. Then one immediately after that which is selling for £9.00. If I have to sell my 1897 Bal Des Quatrz Arts invitations I will do. They contain wonderful illustrations by Roedel. Just realised earlier, Sean's graduation ceremony for his HND, with the whole mortar board and gown thing is on 9th September at the Armagh City Hotel. His college has six "branches"; in Newry, two in Armagh, Banbridge, Kilkeel, and Lurgan. All awards ceremonies are held every year in Armagh, despite wherever you actually studied. It would be lovely for him to have his photograph taken by the official photographer in all his get up on the day. Hopefully the "nice" trousers and shirt he wears at the school every week will suffice. Might have to get him a tie to go with it. God knows what on earth I am going to wear. It'll have to be cheap, whatever it is. The following week, IF he goes, he travels over to Manchester for the start of his Freshers/Induction week . Which will be dear enough. I've been told to make sure he has enough money for at least a week to live on when he gets there, as there is no guarantee Student Finance will come through within the first week of him being in Manchester. 

15 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I get most of my clothes these days in Tesco, Sainsbury or Asda!  They are very reasonably priced and they have some up to date and stylish designs.

Primark for me !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, aileen said:

Lisa, make sure that Sean does actually apply for student finance. There are deadlines. From recollection, it's a date in May in England.

Thanks, Aileen. Yes the deadline for applying is Wed.31 May.