Birmingham Royal Ballet - taster classes "on tour"

Jan McNulty

They also need to inspire the future audiences and recreational dancers of the future for the art form to continue. A lot of opportunities are rather monopolised by vocational/ associates students and most other dancers wouldn't stand a chance against them in an audition. I've personally seen students from RBS, Elmhurst & Tring performing with companies, I think it's a nice idea to provide something for the non vocational students and a good idea to get a wider appreciation for ballet. Not saying that they couldn't provide something for serious students too. Tbh the rehersals for the Cinderella one are on a weekday evening which would presumably exclude most vocational students and unfortunately also just about everyone not from Birmingham!

I agree that vocational students wouldn't be able to take part in the Cinderella one (apart from Elmhurst students but I would imagine they wouldn't be allowed anyway)  

There are some lovely non vocational dancers in the Birmingham area who I would imagine are very happy and excited about the prospect.  I doubt that many of those who attend the audition would say they weren't serious  :huh:

As for the one off days; these days have always been poorly attended (mostly because BRB didn't advertise them).   

Edited by angel

When you said 'Not saying that they couldn't provide something for serious students too' I thought that's what you meant.

I do understand the frustration of those who don't have opportunities to perform or train with professionals. My dd has been vocational for three years but has also not had opportunity to performer train with a professional company.

• Like 1

I hope nobody took offence because I absolutely agree that recreational dancers can take their dancing very seriously. However, I would use the term 'serious dancer' to mean someone in or aspiring to make their career in dance. I understand these events to be an attempt at an outreach programme whch is great as for every dancer made, you need to make an awful lot more people who want to watch! The performance is a lovely opportunity for local children but tbh Birmingham already has many opportunities with a vocational school, multiple associate schemes, other performance opportunities nearby, it's own ballet company etc perhaps if they took some of their workshops to areas without this they may be better attended!

I was just thinking of some of the young dancers I know who would love to go to vocational school but, often for financial reasons or choice not to leave home or academic schools yet, have stayed at home but continued training hard. Or those who were training vocationally but were assessed out.

You make a good point about outreach and encouraging new audience members. I'm all for that. I never would have been to the ballet if my dd's didn't dance.

• Like 1

I hope nobody took offence because I absolutely agree that recreational dancers can take their dancing very seriously. However, I would use the term 'serious dancer' to mean someone in or aspiring to make their career in dance. I understand these events to be an attempt at an outreach programme whch is great as for every dancer made, you need to make an awful lot more people who want to watch! The performance is a lovely opportunity for local children but tbh Birmingham already has many opportunities with a vocational school, multiple associate schemes, other performance opportunities nearby, it's own ballet company etc perhaps if they took some of their workshops to areas without this they may be better attended!

BRB does a lot of outreach work with schools in the areas to which they tour.  Over many years of visiting Sunderland I have been made aware of school groups attending a performance who have had workshops with BRB.  As far as I am aware that is also the case in Plymouth and Salford.

I believe all our major touring companies (and possibly the smaller companies) have outreach activities in the areas to which they tour.

How could BRB resource a Cinderella Dreams initiative outside their own home city?  The company has finite resources and, of course, has to produce performances as advertised for ticket-buying ballet-watchers.

• Like 3