Neck Pain

hellogoodbye

Hi there, hopefully this is the right place to post this...

I wonder if anyone knows the reason or has any suggestions for this.... I am taking dance classes at Pineapple which are great fun. Only trouble is whenever we have to do sit-ups in warmups. It doesn't hurt my stomach muscles (mainly because I don't get far enough for this to happen) but causes great pain and strain to my neck, so much so that I have to stop.

Does anyone know why this might be or how to fix it?

Neck strain is very common in this sort of exercise when your abdominals are not strong enough for the exercise you are doing. You need to get your teacher to check your technique then maybe do some basic Pilates Ab prep to start waking up your abs - sure you tube will have some examples.

yeah,

if your hands are behind your head if your doing the exercise incorrectly or using your arms to sit up instead of your abs then you will get neck strain from pulling yourself up using your head/ arms instead of engaging your abs. just get the teacher to make sure you've got the right technique, sit ups are actually pretty tricky to do right :)

I have degenerative disc disease so have 2 bulging disc's in my neck and a tip my physio gave me to take the strain out of my neck when doing sit ups is to find a spot on the ceiling in front of you and focus on this as you do the sit up. Not sure why or how it works but it does lol perhaps have a go and see if this works for you. Good luck

• Like 1

Yes, remember they always tell you not to pull on your neck, or to put pressure on it in any way. If you keep your hands up by your head while doing the sit-ups, don't actually press them against your head/neck.