What a relief!

Balletsister

I realise having read the recent threads about various auditions and school places that I should be relieved that my dd is good but not that good. What a harsh system they face if you go down this route. Childhood is so short and to have it punctuated by that amount of pressure and stress surely can't be a good thing. I do believe that difficulties in life can shape us for the better but I for one would not invite these difficulties by placing them in a system that at times appears barbaric. They may end up on the stage somewhere as adults but at what cost?

• Like 1

I do know what you mean. My DD is good but not 'hungry', which I am also relieved about. She loves her ballet, but I would worry if she was *desperate* to dance, as then injury is a catastrophe. We are trying to keep other interests up (which is getting harder with dance classes most days), and encouraging her to think of dance as just one of the things she does well!

• Like 2

I think the thing is that maybe some of us .....certainly myself ......are somewhat ambivalent about these things!!

In the best possible world if I had a DD or DS I would favour keeping at home until at least 16!

However one just cannot underestimate what may come from the Dd/DS themselves!!!

If I had an exceptionally talented child who was haranguing me to go to a vocational establishment I may well give in .......and have to let go of them earlier than I would ideally like ......given they had the talent to gain entry etc. and were super keen and so on.

My parents didn't approve of Private Education but from the ages of 11-16 I did receive private (academic) education because unfortunately there was no choice of state schools in our area at the time and they saw that inspite of their general and personal convictions ....as their daughter I had only the ONE chance at education.......and so chose accordingly......what they thought would best suit me.

What's that saying supposedly attributed to John Lennon " Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

So....never say never I suppose!!

• Like 4

I feel like that as well LinMM - I'd rather my son stays at home until 16 but he is adamant he wants to go to a vocational school at 11. Of course I will support his goal but part of me wants to tell him to go to a regular school and continue his dancing extra curricular. But another part of me thinks: what if this would prevent him from achieving his ultimate potential?

Who would be parent?

• Like 3