Northern ballet school - auditions and fees

Jellybeans

I have just been looking at the website for Northern Ballet School (Manchester) and see that the tuition fees for next year are £11,300 payable termly. Sorry if this is a silly question but does that mean it is £11,300 a term or is that the fee for the whole year which is then paid in three instalments?

It says also that Dadas go to the most talented students and places are offered on merit. Does this mean that if you are offered a place without a Dada that they still see potential in you or does it mean that they just want your money?

Finally, the website seems only to mention one audition. Are places and Dadas decided at that one audition or are there further auditions that are not mentioned?

Not quite at that stage yet but trying to gather information!

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Like 1

The fee quoted will be for the whole year I believe, and you can pay termly. Note this only covers fees, not accommodation and living expenses.

I know many girls who auditioned for NBS and were not offered places, so I don't think it can be said that they do not see potential if you are offered a place with no DADA. However NBS trains jazz dancers as well as ballet dancers, so it may not be just classical potential they are looking for :)

The way their audition process works is that you only have to do one audition. After that audition you will either get an offer of a place, or a 'No' letter within about a week or two. At this stage you are not offered funding as the school doesn't know how many DADAs they will have available until around April.

My understanding of the way they allocate DADAs is - In the audition each candidate is given a score (for use by the school only, the candidates aren't told their scores) , and the school use this score when they know how many DADA awards they have to decide who they will offer DADAs to. They are offered to those getting the highest score first. If they turn their place down, the DADA is offered to someone further down the list.

At least this is how it was when my dd went there - but that was getting on for 5 years ago now so things may have changed.

• Like 1

Thank you, Glowlight, that is very helpful. I must admit that I am surprised by the fees as they seem very much lower than other schools, even allowing for accommodation! incidentally, is good accommodation generally available close to the school?

I think the fees are quite reasonable. Maybe its because NBS doesn't offer A levels, as some schools do. Also their costs may be lower because they are not in London, and not maintaining/paying for huge buildings.

There is lots of purpose built student accommodation within 5-10 mins walk of NBS. Most NBS students seem to live in either New Medlock house or Parkway Gate, both operated by a company called Unite. Its not cheap, but much cheaper than London prices!

Good point about DADA scheme changing taximom.

• 5 months later...

Just found this on YouTube - a taste of what it's like to be at the Northern Ballet School. It's from a couple of years ago, but thought it might interest some. I think there are some others too - I noticed one showing an interview with the principal I think:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jellybeans!

Yes, the fees will be for the year. One of the reasons they are comparatively less than some other vocational schools is due to the fact accommodation fees/living costs are not included, but also, because Manchester is a much more affordable city to live in compared to London etc. (i.e. the prices reflect the geography).

The two main houses of residence for first years are Medlock House and Student Village…

► Medlock House: https://www.unite-students.com/student-accommodation/manchester/new-medlock

► Student Village: http://www.mcrstudents.com/website/locations-building.jsp?id=-2798911104435514821

Both are literally less than 7-10 mins away, and you can walk door-to-door in 3 mins from Student Village on a good day while slurping the last of your coffee ;)

“Does that mean that if you are offered a place without a Dada they still see potential in you” … the short answer is yes. Firstly they do not have sufficient Dada places to cover each year group, and also there are plenty of talented students auditioning each year for there to still be hefty competition for the rest of the places.

Glowlight is correct by saying “NBS trains jazz dancers as well as ballet dancers, so it may not be just classical potential they are looking for”. The original ambition of NBS was to create assessable vocational training for dancers in the North East of England, without them having to travel down to London. Primarily for this reason it has since grown to be a school of two halves – bunheads and jazzerinas – so as to offer the best of both worlds. In the first year everyone studies all subjects, and then phase off to focus either on classical ballet or musical theatre from the start of the second year – a decision based according to the Principals belief in what is best for you, and your assessment results. In this way this system can offer a brilliant base for dancers who are unsure which area they may excel at, and can afford bunheads the chance to fall in love with other dance forms (which can later protect them career-wise should they be unable to perform classical ballet for some reason). That said, for those dancers who are 100% certain they crave a purely classical ‘ballet ballet’ lifestyle, there may be other schools more suited to their temperament. I would say it is not one of the strongest schools for contemporary dance.

Oh this video makes me giggle! The ‘Want to Be There Song’ is what sets me off! Yes, you see the principal, Patricia McDonald at 0:55 & 1:08 in this one, and there are other videos, one of which does showcase an interview with her. This video is part of a set which I think are available via the schools website, and I believe also via a DVD you can request if you ring reception.

Best Wishes,

Angeline

• Like 1

Thank you for posting the video - great for my year 8 dd and me who have no idea of the wider options of colleges and schools and about about dancing as a profession but good for her to see just what is out there outside just the classical ballet choices! She is passionate about it and I want to investigate all the options.