Press Release: English National Ballet - Modern Masters, a new triple bill, at Sadler's Wells 10 - 15 March 2015

English National Ballet

Modern Masters

Sadler’s Wells, EC1R 4TN

Tuesday 10 - Sunday 15 March 2015

Performances: 7.30pm (mat 2.30pm)

Tickets: £12 - £45

Box office: www.ballet.org.uk or 0844 412 4300

Presenting its first programme as an Associate Company of Sadler’s Wells, English National Ballet brings Modern Masters: Icons of 20th Century Choreography, a new triple bill, to Sadler’s Wells from the 10 - 15 March 2015. The evening’s programme includes works from two choreographers new to the Company’s repertoire, William Forsythe’s In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated and the UK premiere of Spring and Fall by John Neumeier. The triple bill also includesJiří Kylián’s Petite Mort, first performed by the Company in Ecstasy and Death in 2013.

Of Modern Masters Artistic Director of English National Ballet, Tamara Rojo says: “After the success of last year’s productions Le Corsaire and Lest We Forget, I am delighted to present Modern Masters at Sadler’s Wells. English National Ballet is committed to presenting the very best of both traditional and contemporary ballet to audiences across the UK, bringing these works to Sadler’s Wells continues this commitment and offers us the opportunity to reach new audiences.

I am excited to see the Company perform these works by some of the most influential choreographers. As Artistic Director I am always looking at our dancer’s development and this programme offers them both the challenge and opportunity to develop artistically.”

Jiří Kylián’s Petite Mort, features six men, six women and six fencing foils, symbolising energy, silence and sexuality. Created for the Salzburg Festival in 1991, it is performed to the movements of two Mozart Piano Concerti, the A Majorand the C Major.

Originally created for the Hamburg Ballet, John Neumeier’s Spring and Fall is not in the repertoire of any other UK company. Set to Dvořák's Serenade for Strings in E Major, it features two couples and corps de ballet. English National Ballet’s Lead Principal, Alina Cojocaru will perform in Spring and Fall at Sadler’s Wells in March. Of performing the work in Hamburg this summer Cojocaru said; “To dance to Dvořák's music in such a wonderful creation by Neumeier, gives me such a sense of meaning and hidden challenges. Spring and Fall is a dream come true.’’

William Forsythe created In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated at the invitation of Rudolf Nureyev when he was Director of the Paris Opera Ballet. Set against a bare stage it is performed by nine dancers to an electronic score by Dutch composer Thom Willems, culminating in a display of technical brilliance.

Modern Masters also sees English National Ballet embark on its second Dance Journeys project, which sees two performances by young dancers on the main stage at Sadler’s Wells.

On Thursday 12 March a cast of 35 young dancers from ENBYouthCo members and students from four schools in the UK perform a curtain-raiser to the matinee show of Modern Masters. This is an extract from a new full-length piece,Perfect Disorder, which will be performed on Friday 13 March at 1pm.

Inspired by William Forsythe’s In The Middle, Somewhat ElevatedPerfect Disorder sees 80 young dancers from four London secondary schools take to the stage. Directed by English National Ballet’s Creative Associate Laura Harvey and choreographed by four English National Ballet artists, Perfect Disorder features a new composition by Chris Swithinbank, performed by the English National Ballet Philharmonic.

Tickets for Perfect Disorder are £1 and can be booked at www.ballet.org.uk

Principal casting to be announced shortly

Free post-show talk with Tamara Rojo (BSL-interpreted): Wednesday 11 March, on stage

For further information about English National Ballet and to book tickets visit www.ballet.org.uk. Please note performance details are subject to change.

Notes to Editors

Modern Masters is supported by the Modern Masters Production Circle

Dance Journeys is funded by John Lyon’s Charity

Of course it will be good to see Alina (and Tamara) in these works. However, I would also like to think that other wonderful Company dancers will get a goodly share of the lead roles and performances.

In the last mixed bill (Lest We Forget) Alina danced in two of the three new works (as did Tamara). I would certainly expect Alina to dance in the Neumeier. Fingers crossed that Junor will soon be fit again as I could really see him dancing the Forsythe.

Of course it will be good to see Alina (and Tamara) in these works. However, I would also like to think that other wonderful Company dancers will get a goodly share of the lead roles and performances.

Hello Incognito and welcome to the Forum.  

One thing I like about mixed programmes is that you often get an opportunity to see many of a company's dancers in one show.  Let's hope this mixed bill provides that opportunity.  Do let us know what you think when you go!