ZooNation: The Mad Hatter's Tea Party, December 2014

I was at the dress rehearsal for ZooNation's hip-hop take on Lewis Caroll's Alice in Wonderland, 'The Mad Hatter's Tea Party'. The show is in preview on 6th and 8th Dec, then opens on the 9th Dec. And looks pretty much sold out (except for a few preview tickets). Here are a couple of sample photos from Act 1, the 'therapy' sessions....

15770980020_6c46971451_z.jpg
Lizzie Gough as Alice, Turbo as Mad Hatter, Tommy Franzen as Ernest, their psychologist
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

15335982334_0d7106c95c_z.jpg
Tweedles Dum & Dee - Rowen Hawkins, Ross Sands
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...
Set from DanceTabs - ZooNation: Mad Hatter’s Tea Party
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 7

A few firsts for me last night: first ZooNation show, first hip-hop dance show, first time in Linbury Studio Theatre.  So, I went in not really knowing what to expect; but wow! I have to say it was absolutely brilliant.  I found myself grinning throughout - it was just that entertaining.  Amazingly talented dancers and musicians and a really cleverly put together show.  Though they were all brilliant, a special mention should be made for Tommy Franzen as the psychologist and his "descent into madness" dance at the end of Act 1 which was just astonishing. 

Anyway, enough superlatives.  Did anybody else go? 

• Like 3

I thought than the traverse production worked very well for this show. You can be really close to the action. Warning if you are on the front row: there is some audience participation in the second half. Well, it is panto time. 

The participants pulled on stage on the 9th to join the tea party included Wayne McGregor, draped in a resplendent yellow feather boa by a cast member. 

• Like 2

Lynette, do you know if you will be able to watch this AFTER the live stream?  I would love to see it ... but I am at the opening of Ballo tomorrow at the opera house (ironically - so close and yet so far) and won't be able to watch it live for obvious reasons?  I looked at the web page but couldn't figure out an answer to that question from it.