Young Dancers Academy - question for those with DC there

amos73

Hi

I've been reading posts on here for about nine months. DD is 9, year 5, and really keen on ballet. She was just doing local class last year but teacher suggested if she was interested to take a bit more seriously. I knew nothing about the ballet world but DD in fact came to me one day and said she really wanted to go to ballet school at 11 and train to be a dancer, so it has been led by her and teacher's advice.

We applied last year for RBS JA but tbh don't think she was really ready. She felt very overwhelmed by being at their school in Covent Garden, bless her, and wasn't surprised when she didn't get a place. We did apply for Tring CBA as well and she really enjoyed the audition experience there and got a place.  She has been going since September and loves it.

We live in West London and someone suggested we look at Young Dancers Academy in Shepherds Bush as it was nearby and had very good reputation. I hadn't heard of it but we checked it out and she auditioned mid term for their associates and is really loving it.

I am now considering it as an option for next year to audition for year 7, as well as the other bigger schools. I do like the idea she could stay at home and the teachers seem very serious but also caring about the individual child from the little I have seen.

I just wanted to get some feedback and opinions from any parents whose children do go there to the full time school, as it would be really useful regarding such a big decision as which schools to apply for.

Many thanks!

There has been mention of YDA on here before so worth doing a search. All I have picked up is that is has a very good reputation for ballet, but as a private institution with no state funding is expensive though I guess they may have their own scholarship arrangements.

Hi thanks for the welcome thequays - and thanks for your reply chaperone. I have read the threads on here but was hoping to get a bit more detail re people's experience of it as a school.

There seems to be such a wealth of information among members and it's so great that people share it on here for those of us just starting out.

My DD was at YDA from 12 to 16 years and was generally very happy there. She got into Elmhurst for 6th form this year and received a good training from YDA. It's a small school, maybe too small, but the ballet is good as are the academics as DD got A*s and As for her GCSEs. If you need any info please feel free to message me. If you want your daughter to stay at home then YDA is a good option.

• Like 1

Hello, 

Just to give you a bit of information.  My daughter left YDA in July and had been there for 5 years. She absolutely loved being there and got into Rambert School.  In fact, she wished that there was a sixth form!  

There were six girls in her year who got into Elmhurst/Central and they all got great GCSEs too.  

About half the school (there are 50 there) are associates at Royal Ballet School.

Way back, my daughter was a JA and was offered Elmhurst and Tring at 11, but we did not want her to board. YDA was recommended by a teacher at RBS associates and it was just perfect for us, as we live in NW London.  

There are scholarships, but even without that it is a fraction of the price of Tring.

They also have their own associate scheme, on a Saturday afternoon, so it would give you an insight without leaping into vocational training.

It is definitely worth auditioning and also they have evening classes at West London School of Dance, which a lot of student are in before graduating to YDA.

My other daughter does WLSD and loves it.

Do PM or reply if you want more information, but I would recommend contacting them.

Good luck and take care.

• Like 2

Hi amos73,

We have found YDA to be really caring and nurturing. It is a really small school, but there are also afternoon/evening classes with WLSD, so the students do know a lot of people. We have found the ballet teaching to be excellent and there are lots of opportunities to perform. There are usually only about 6 or 7 girls in each year, so they do get a lot of attention. Of course, there aren't quite the same number of academic subjects on offer as there would be in a non-vocational school, but for us, the emphasis was to get really good training alongside decent GCSE's. Do PM me if you have any more questions.

I can only agree with the positive comments above.

It is a small school and that means there is lots of attention during lessons.

The staff are very caring and sensitive to each child's individual needs.

Quality of the dance training is excellent and compares well to other much higher profile vocational schools. Many of the children are RBS associates.

There are good opportunities to perform and I feel the link with WLSD helps to instill confidence in the vocational students, yet keeps them grounded.

There are facilities for a limited number of students from outside London to stay, but if you're local then it's ideal.

The only thing to bear in mind is that as it's a small school, its sometimes difficult to judge quality by the destination the dancers take at 16, as that will depend on interest. Some years will have a classical interest while other years more will head towards a musical theatre training and of course some will choose to pursue academic careers.

Last year all those who wanted further dance training at 16 gained places at schools such as Laine's, Central, Elmhurst, Rambert and The Royal Swedish Ballet School.

Edited by P1P

Hi Amos73. Having abit of trouble answering your PM. I wrote a few paragraphs and when I pressed send it disappeared! Did you get anything?

Hi sophia9899

I got your first Pm but nothing else. Thanks so much though for your original reply!

I can only agree with the positive comments above.

It is a small school and that means there is lots of attention during lessons.

The staff are very caring and sensitive to each child's individual needs.

Quality of the dance training is excellent and compares well to other much higher profile vocational schools. Many of the children are RBS associates.

There are good opportunities to perform and I feel the link with WLSD helps to instill confidence in the vocational students, yet keeps them grounded.

There are facilities for a limited number of students from outside London to stay, but if you're local then it's ideal.

The only thing to bear in mind is that as it's a small school, its sometimes difficult to judge quality by the destination the dancers take at 16, as that will depend on interest. Some years will have a classical interest while other years more will head towards a musical theatre training and of course some will choose to pursue academic careers.

Last year all those who wanted further dance training at 16 gained places at schools such as Laine's, Central, Elmhurst, Rambert and The Royal Swedish Ballet School.

Thanks P1P!