Too late to be a ballet dance teacher?

Tanyar123

Hi everyone, thank you for reading my post.

First of all, I want to say I am 23 and I have decided I want to become a ballet dance teacher but I don't know if it is too late for me.

I have a BTEC in dance.University is out of the option. I have some experience with ballet but my technique is not great. I was wondering if there is some sort of qualification that can help me to become a qualified dance teacher. Also, I would love to teach contemporary and street.

Any advise for me please?

Thanks

To train as a ballet teacher you would need to reach Intermediate Level with one of the dance exam boards then undertake their teacher training programme.

Intermediate requires a high level if technique. It is achievable for even a late starter but you are talking several years at least.

A starting point would be to start attending regular classes. Ballet technique is something that can't be rushed, it has to be built up over time.

• Like 1

To train as a ballet teacher you would need to reach Intermediate Level with one of the dance exam boards then undertake their teacher training programme.

Intermediate requires a high level if technique. It is achievable for even a late starter but you are talking several years at least.

A starting point would be to start attending regular classes. Ballet technique is something that can't be rushed, it has to be built up over time.

Hi, thank you for replying to my post. I will have to start attending regular classes but I have another question. I am new to this. How do I take the dance exam once I reach intermediate level? could it be with any dance school? and do I have to tell the dance teacher that I want to take a dance exam. Also, if I take a dance exam, is this enough for me to qualify to be a ballet dance teacher?

The Intermediate exam is the minimum requirement to he accepted onto a teacher training qualification course.

To be a qualified ballet teacher (you specified ballet in your OP you need a DDI (diploma in dance instruction) with the ISTD or a Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies with the RAD or a Diploma in Dance Teaching with the BBO etc. some of these can be studied by distance learning, others you need to register with a school/college that offers the course.

To work towards Intermediate You need to find a dance school that uses one of the major syllabi & enters students for vocational exams.

• Like 1

I'm afraid that passing Intermediate only qualifies you to start teacher training - there is a lot to do after that.

I would suggest that your first line of action needs to be to find a reputable local ballet school affiliated to one of the major examination boards such as the RAD, ISTD or IDTA and start taking regular classes. Make sure it is a school that teaches the vocational grades though, as not all do. Talk to the teacher there and let her or him know what your aspirations are. They should be able to assess your current level of attainment and give you some idea of how long it would take you to reach intermediate level. Passing intermediate is no small achievement in itself, so you may need to devote a significant amount of time to that, especially if you haven't done a lot of ballet recently. If you find a good teacher they will tell you when they think you are ready to take the exam, and will make the arrangements for you to enter. Depending on which board you do, you may have to go to another centre to actually sit the exam. but your teacher will explain that when you are ready.

The pathway to becoming a qualified teacher varies with each organisation, but they all include things like health and safety, theory of teaching, child development etc as well as obviously learning the technical aspects of the relevant syllabi. If you look on each examining board's website I am sure you will be able to find more detail.

I'm sure it is do-able at 23 - you are still very young - but it will probably take you quite a few years if you have not already attained quite a high standard with your ballet.

Sorry if that sounds a bit negative. I don't want to put you off but you need to know that it is not as easy as people often think. Obviously it would depend on how much time you have to devote to this, such as whether you would do a full time course at a college or train part time whilst doing another job, but I would start with finding a good ballet teacher and take things one step at a time. Good luck.

• Like 7

If you have little experience of dance then the first step would be to attend and even watch as many classes as you can to build technical and artistic skills. If you look on RAD, ISTD, BBO etc websites they should give you info re the training pathways. Once you build a solid understanding around technique it might be useful to see if you can help out in a local dance school to build experience prior to auditioning for a teaching program. This sounds like it might take a while to reach the stage of auditioning for a teaching course.

• Like 1