Sore rib

Tulip

Is it quite common to get a sore rib after pas de deux? At the moment the students are doing a lot of pas de deux, just wanted to know is sore ribs just part of a dancers life and if so what should they do to stop the pain. Someone said icing it is not good because of internal organs????

Yes, a sore rib now and again is part of the job.  

When doing pas de deux the female should be careful to wear a non-slippery leotard - something in cotton rather than the more shiny slippery fabrics.  This gives the partner's hand better traction and he won't feel the need to hold on so tightly.  Sometimes his hand will reflexively close rather than (depending upon the lift) balancing on a more open hand.

Have the teacher check it.

• Like 1

When I hurt my foot last year I was told I could put an ice pack on it but absolutely for no more than 20 minutes at a time because otherwise it could start damaging the skin.  It could well be a lesser time for your trunk.  I think you need to check it out with a medical professional.

Shivering at the thought of putting an ice pack on ribs. Along with the big blisters, sore legs and feet and now ribs, why would anyone want to be a dancer? My daughter loves ballet even more.

• Like 3

Tulip I completely sympathise with your DD having had sore ribs myself when 19 (rather a long time ago) while dancing in an am dram production of Grease with a flip turn and an inexperienced partner, it was agony (thanks Paul ;) ).

Icing isnt going to penetrate to any organs and is recommneded for rib injury, here is a link.

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/injury-pain/bruised-ribs-what-you-need-to-know.html

If there are any medics on the forum, please do comment.

Hoping you DD recovers quickly x

NL

With my medical hat on I don't think you could damage internal organs with icing.

Regarding the skin you could certainly get a cold burn or frostbite type injury- that is why you shouldn't apply the ice directly-eg wrap in tea towel. Unless you have deficient nerve function for any reason (a neuropathy) I think the pain you would get due to over icing would make you remove it before frostbite intervened. As always listen to your body. ...

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice everyone. She is going to see the physio about it tomorrow as it is very sore. She is also going to ask her teacher to have a look at the lift just to check they are both doing it properly.

• Like 2