Is it ok to miss associate classes for festivals??

Lema

I spoke to her teacher and she said that these festivals won't accept requests on times/days and absolutely no dancing out of section! Ah well there goes that idea, teacher said to wait and see what the schedule is and take it from there, so I guess we will just have to wait and see x

What a shame Lema - oh well....we'll all have to think positively that the timetable gods smile down on you :) x

• Like 1

My DD was a JA and is now an MA, she had to miss a couple of classes for various reasons and I found the teachers very understanding, you just have to be upfront with them. (Even if she is a little late to some of her other classes, as long as you explain, they are fine). Congrats on her getting a JA place!!

• Like 1

I spent two years running between competitions and MTB and really tried hard not to miss either. Unfortunately we had to miss some MTB as my dd's dance school had our prior commitment. Also when my dd did get to MTB she found that her group hadn't done anything not even a warm up ( my dd's assessment not mine).

It is always great to see dancers with commitment, teachers would rather see dancers be a little late than not at all, as it is especially hard when rehearsing a full production and trying to place missing children.

Edited for spelling!!

Edited by SwaybackSapphire
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm hoping to speak to them and try to sort something out, as you said even if it's a case of leaving a little early or arriving a little late, I'm pulling all her solos so hopefully we won't have a problem with just the duets and troupes! Thanks for all the help and advice xx

• Like 1

Once this season's festivals are over, perhaps she could just do solos? That way she can still do festivals, and if she's not available she isn't letting anyone else down, as it will be only her own solo she misses. A festival school near us suggests that as the best way for their associates.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good idea taxi4ballet, it's so hard to know what to do for the best when all we've ever done is attended our local dance school, now we have to consider all these associate classes too! Not that I'm complaining, just a lot to take on board in a short space of time, so glad I found this forum when I did! :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well it turns out the scheduling gods were smiling down on me!! Just had the provisional schedule for the festivals and only one of dd's dances clashes with her JA class!! All her other dances are either really early or really late in the day, I am sooo happy we are not going to have to let anyone down or miss any classes. There will be a lot of back and forward driving between the two but it's very doable!! Now just fingers crossed that the schedule stays as it is!! :)

• Like 9

I'm glad everything has worked out for you, but I think this is going to be the first of many tough decisions ahead.  Sometimes trying to accommodate one associate class into your lifestyle can be tricky but you have committed yourself to 3!!  It's a great achievement for your little dancer, just remember there needs to be balance, a controversial idea I know, just talking from someone who has been through it.  Good luck x 

• Like 1

Thank you Moka and I am sure you are absolutly right that's why out of the 4 offers my daughter had we only accepted two places in the end, it was a very tough decision to make but we knew that it was the right thing to do as we didn't want to take a place that we could not then commit 100% too knowing how few places there are available we felt it right to choose two and let someone else who could give the commitment get a shot too!! Although I swear a little piece of me died inside when I hit send on the rejection emails to two amazing schools!!

• Like 2