just breath taking

primrose

Isn't she the same girl from the documentary "First Position"?   If so - I found the mother's methods frightening.  I came as close as I could in describing what I thought of it in the review I did for this forum without infringing upon the board acceptable use policy.

Yes she is the same girl. Have never watched First Position but have read some newspaper articles about her that leave me uneasy.

Unfortunately I cant look at the you tube clips any more as we have had to block you tube due to my asd son being obsessed with it. I have enjoyed looking at these clips they do give us an insight to the amount of talent around the world.

Well maybe mum was a little too "behind" Miko a bit too much of a "tiger" mum as the current expression seems to be.....but any interviews spoken or written by/about Miko herself show a very humble dancer not at all showy or arrogant who thinks she will have to work hard to get into any company.

She lists her favourite companies and of course the Royal is there at the top of her list......she says herself that this is a very hard company to get into.....she is under no illusions there.

As her mum is Japonese she is also forging links with teachers there though most of her teachers are from Russian stock so it's the Vaganova style she is most versed in. She is currently mainly studying at the Indianapolis Ballet School.

She is obviously a reasonably privileged young lady .......with comparatively wealthy parents etc.....but she does not appear to be "spoilt" at all and is quite shy and reserved in fact.

Her father also seems very supportive and she seems very aware of what they have done for her and appears to be very grateful for their support.

I'm not that keen on this idea of everything revolving around one activity so much and being home schooled because of it ......I prefer that children have a bit more of a normal life.

However America like Australia is a big place and home schooling is much more common than here in the UK for all sorts of reasons.

Also what do parents do when they have an exceptionally talented child?

They usually try to find the best tuition and schools for them.......desperately hoping in many cases that they will win scholarships because of the expense of it all.

There are extremes you can push children too though which do verge on cruelty. I'm not saying that's the case with Miko at all but a balance has to be struck by parents in the pursuit of excellence with their talented children.

• Like 3

I have read somewhere that Miko's father is actually British as well as Swiss.  I am not sure whether they moved to America for Miko's training - perhaps it was just her father's job opportunity.

She was at the Prix de Lausanne in 2013, but I don't think she did as well as she wanted there... in that she only won an award given to Swiss nationals.  I got an impression that girls weren't particularly strong that year either.

I agree with Anjuli's about her mother and I think I would use the same words to describe her!  But all in all, I get an impression that Miko is one of those amazing persons who knows what she wants from the day she was born. 

It would be interesting to see how she will develop as a dancer...

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 2

They moved to America because of Dads work .......something in IT!!

Miko was born in London.

Yes not sure how she managed Swiss nationality at the Prix de Lausanne last year!! Perhaps her dad has a Swiss mother??

There's a lovely picture of her with English (Irish??) grandmother on Facebook I think!

• Like 1

Anjuli, I did see your review but I can't find it now. Can you remember which forum you posted it in, please?

Here it is, Fiz:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/815-first-position-ballet-documentary/?hl=%2Bfirst+%2Bposition+%2Banjuli_bai#entry13198

If this doesn't come up as a link - it's in "Doing Dance"

Unfortunately the link takes you to a "quote" - just scroll up the thread a bit.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 2

Thank you so much. I did want to buy this originally but I didn't in the end. I still don't think I will either. There is such a thing as parental encouragement but "tiger mothers" are another thing entirely. I think Miko has talent and application by the bucket load but her mother is too involved in her daughter's putative career.