Ballet has changed my daughters outlook

Katymac

She needs new school shoes (only in school until end of June but....) "well I can't have cheap ballet flats" says DD - "you have to grip with your toes and it will affect my pointe & the manmade materials won't allow my feet to breathe!" :wacko:

& new holiday shoes = no flipflops or mules - they really aren't good for my feet :unsure:

"I have to go to class tonight" - "but you have bronchitis" says I "yes," says DD "but I can watch & learn" :rolleyes:

Which combined with the extra effort for GCSEs because "I need to do well, so people will take me seriously"

All in all, I think Ballet was worth starting ;):P:D

• Like 20

Ballet is like that - it is not open to negotiation.   You wear the wrong shoes - you pay the price in discomfort.

You don't eat well or get enough sleep  - your dancing will suffer.

You don't put in the effort - you don't get the desired result.

It's called:  responsibility and reality - big lessons to learn for all of us.

• Like 15

Ballet is like that - it is not open to negotiation.   You wear the wrong shoes - you pay the price in discomfort.

You don't eat well or get enough sleep  - your dancing will suffer.

You don't put in the effort - you don't get the desired result.

It's called:  responsibility and reality - big lessons to learn for all of us.

Absolutely.

These are some of the things I try (with varying success!) to explain to people when they ask why we have invested so much in DD's dancing even though she is highly unlikely to have a career as a dancer.

It is such a positive thing in so many ways, and when I receive compliments regarding DD from teachers, friends etc, the things they are praising are often characteristics that have been developed by dancing. Wherever life takes her, I will never feel that a minute she spent dancing was wasted.

• Like 14

It is refreshing to see a parent take note of these wishes. So many of my students parents do not support they're child's 'demands' but things like good outdoor shoes etc do matter and I am glad it doesn't always go unnoticed.

• Like 1

She eats more regularly & better, she often thinks before she reacts, she is starting to listen to her body when it says slow down, she works really hard at 'everything' not just dance (although Applied Business seems to be an exception)

In 2010/11 she announced she wanted to dance, I ignored it for a bit - in 2011 she arranged classes for herself (with my permission) since then our lives have changed and, I guess, she has grown up (which is a bit sad)

• Like 3

Both my DDs have benefited so much but in different ways - eldest dd wants to go to vocational school at 16 - she works hard and is dedicated. Even when she has had nos for associate classes and competitions she shakes off her disappointment, makes no excuses and is even more determined to try again. I so admire that in her. Her time management is brilliant - she will never miss a lesson so is always up to date with homework etc.  Youngest dd dances for pleasure - but the benefits are huge - she has gone from being a shy little girl who would not even put her hand up in class to recently auditioning (and getting) a small singing solo in a school assembly! That is a huge acheivemnt for her.  We have all made wonderful friends and look forward to meeting up with them at different times of the year. :)

• Like 11

Discipline, determination, confidence, time management, resiliance and hard work, gracefulness, teamwork, teaching ability and good friends are all things my beautiful dd gets from ballet.  She demands good footwear, healthly food and a taxi service, along with lots of money to pay for it. 

All things considered I believe that is a fair exchange and that she will be a better person for dancing.  I cannot begrudge a single penny spent, mile driven or hour waiting. :)

• Like 16