Scottish Ballet's Nutcracker

I know, we've just had Easter and I'm already talking about The Nutcracker! There was a critic who travelled across America (I think it was last year) sampling lots of different Nutcrackers in the Christmas season. That got me thinking that perhaps I might try the same thing this year -subject to finances- in the UK. I would need to travel north to see Scottish Ballet's production. I have some knowledge of Edinburgh but the dates may not suit and so I wondered whether anyone could give me any information about going to see Scottish Ballet in Glasgow (I would need to stay the night).

Aileen: You are almost right, but it was in 2010 - Alastair Macaulay of the New York Times went around the States seeing 'Nutcrackers' of all kinds and standards, and in the ballet.co review archives (entered via the 'Reviews' button on DanceTabs) you'll find some 30 reviews published in roughly one month. My erstwhile colleagues on ballet.co Links will recall these, I'm sure - I certainly do, as I was in my first weeks on the team .... and there was no limit on the NYT articles one could read at that time.

That said, if your plan comes off, we'll look forward to your reviews!

It's some years since I have had an opportunity to go to Glasgow but there were plenty of reasonably priced hotels on Renfrew Street. 5-10 minutes walk from the lovely Theatre Royal, depending on which one you chose.

Also NB are doing their delightful Nutcracker in Leeds in December.

BRB are doing Cinderella this year so no Nutcracker in Birmingham.

I'm disappointed (and surprised) to hear that BRB won't be doing their much praised Nutcracker this year. I've never seen it.

Janet, where did you see details for NB's Nutcracker? I couldn't see it on their website. Also, (don't hate me Glasgow residents!) is it safe walking around the area near the theatre at night? I do live in London and use public transport a lot and so I'm not particularly timid.

The information has been made available to NB Friends. It's at the Grand Theatre 18-29 December.

I haven't been to Glasgow for about 6 years but often went on my own and felt fine walking back to my hotel after a performance. Glasgow is like any city - be sensible and you should be ok.

For some reason, aileen had managed to start 2 identical topics, so I've deleted the unanswered one for tidiness.

I'm disappointed (and surprised) to hear that BRB won't be doing their much praised Nutcracker this year. I've never seen it.

It's available on DVD, I think, with Miyako Yoshida and Irek Mukhamedov.

I think it's the same as with the Royal Ballet - good to have a change every now and then. I got the impression that Birmingham audiences had been proving a little more resistant to "their" Nutcracker in recent years, so ringing the changes with Cinderella for once will probably be good box office.

Alison, thanks for removing my duplicate post. I couldn't seem to do it myself.

My daughter and I really enjoyed BRB's Cinderella at the Coliseum last year. I even saw it twice. I much preferred it to the RB's production which we saw the previous year I think; it felt lacklustre even with a star pairing.

Janet, thanks for the info about NB.

Guest admin

I have some knowledge of Edinburgh but the dates may not suit and so I wondered whether anyone could give me any information about going to see Scottish Ballet in Glasgow (I would need to stay the night).

You don't have to stay the night - you can see the show, have a drink and then walk down to Glasgow Central and get the overnight sleeper back to London - it gets in to Euston at 06:30 or 07:00. If you don't mind sharing and book up early you can get a very good price. Although its not the quickest journey I normally go up during the day on the East Coast line via Edinburgh - the views are wonderful in places.

. Also, (don't hate me Glasgow residents!) is it safe walking around the area near the theatre at night? I do live in London and use public transport a lot and so I'm not particularly timid.

I went to Glasgow to see Scottish Ballet's Sleeping Beauty with my mum last year. We walked to and from the theatre and our hotel (the Holiday Inn, probably 10-15 minutes) and felt perfectly safe. I seem to remember there being quite a few people still around so there was no walking down deserted streets. I've also done the sleeper back, which is fun. it involves a bit of hanging around between the performance and the train but there's a bar in the station (I was travelling by myself and felt comfortable having a drink there, if that is a concern.)