Jelly

Terpsichore

I have just been trying out Jelly, the new social media tool created by Biz Stone, one of the founders of twitter.  Subscribers ask questions and members of the public are invited to reply.

To test it I asked two ballet questions:

• Does anybody know how to do a pirouette from 4th? and
  • Does anybody know how to do a temps levé?

I got 2 answers to the first question which were more or less helpful. Not as useful as those available here or in Adult Beginners' avalanche of replies to a similar question a few weeks ago but relevant all the same.

I also got an answer to the 2nd question which was not quite so helpful. The answer was about paying temporary labour. The respondent had assumed I had misspelt "levy" and that it was about avoiding paying a temp agency's fee.

Somehow I don't think this will be quite as successful as twitter but who knows?

Happy Easter all!

PS. Our North American friends call jelly "jello", don't they.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 1

PS. Our North American friends call jelly "jello", don't they.

It's complicated. Jell-o is the brand name that everyone uses generically for what you call jelly.  Jelly is the kind of preserve made from fruit juice without bits of fruit in it (e.g. crabapple jelly, grape jelly) as opposed to jam (which Americans also call "preserves") or marmalade. Aren't you glad you brought this subject up? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

........................ Aren't you glad you brought this subject up? :rolleyes:

I don't know what it is about this forum. I start a thread about a new and potentially useful social media tool and it evolves into a discussion about desserts,

I start another about cricket and we end up talking about F1.

I comment on a national ballet company now disbanded in the face of religious criticism and recent efforts to restore it and we rabbit on about theology. 

Sacre bleu! 

On the subject of desserts I have just had the most delicious vanilla ice cream ever - beats anything I have had in Cornwall, Orkney, the USA or even Italy - at a Month of Sundaes in Marsden.

• Like 2

But we are very grateful for the broad scope of your topics on this Forum :)

The trouble is I don't know much about cricket

Am useless at anything connected with IT and social media in general

And the vaguest hint of religious persecution for something gets me hot under the collar......from whichever source!

Probably should keep quiet about all three

Silence can be golden as they say ;)

And to complicate the transatlantic dessert conversation, over here "pudding" refers fairly specifically to blancmange- or custard-type desserts, it isn't used as a generic term for desserts and certainly not for baked or steamed flour-based desserts.

I don't know what it is about this forum. I start a thread about a new and potentially useful social media tool and it evolves into a discussion about desserts,

A lot of forums/lists I'm on seem to gravitate to talking about food eventually.  I don't think it's specifically us :)

• Like 1