Professional ballet training - Age 16 or 18?

Sharry01

A former pupil from our local dance school went to LSC after completing A Levels at her state school about 3 years ago. She had also been an associate at Central. After graduating she was offered a permanent contract with Sarasota Ballet in Florida, and is now 'living the dream' over there.

• Like 3

Re the post '18' courses (LSC, Rambert etc) could it also be that some people graduating from a vocational school where they have perhaps been for many years and have not received job offers do not want to 'throw the towel in' so to speak, may feel that learning in a different environment with different teachers and of course the opportunity to gain a BA (providing finance is not an issue) is a wise move. I know of a couple of people who have gained jobs in classical and contemporary companies this way, but as stated, they had been in full time vocational training from an early age....

Just wanted to add. I have a student on scholarship at LSC on the classical course. They only take 18plus for the degree element. She gained Distinction for Adv Two at 17 with me, she had to pull out of her auditions at 16 due to a knee injury, and did not do solo seal but is very classical. She is keeping her options open as she is tall 5'9 and enjoys contemporary and teaching also, she is not expecting a classical career although she could pursue one easily if she wished, she got dada places at all the musical theatre colleges and northern, despite being a real ballet girl.She has found the course excellent so far, she is in her first year, but slow going classically although they have pushed on more this term. It suits her though and she loves it there. I have another 18yr old student who is very academic and wanted to go her a levels. She has in mky opinion a real shot at a classical career despite her age, she is naturally tiny, 5'4, I cannot imagine her not getting work, none of the ballet schools have turned her applications down, her advantage is a maturity of how to work, she is past the awkward 16-18 growth phase (often students go through a bit of a puppy stage again then). So far she got an on the day offer of a scholarship at both LSC and Dada Northern and she is joining the masse this wknd at the 'two'. She loves Rambert but hasn't auditioned yet and wad one of 5 who got an interview at London Contemporary. If they have the body and attitude there is no reason to worry about waiting a year or two, job wise it is righth place, right time, right size, right look and not age, unless a junior company but they take up to 22yr olds.

Just wanted to add. I have a student on scholarship at LSC on the classical course. They only take 18plus for the degree element. She gained Distinction for Adv Two at 17 with me, she had to pull out of her auditions at 16 due to a knee injury, and did not do solo seal but is very classical. She is keeping her options open as she is tall 5'9 and enjoys contemporary and teaching also, she is not expecting a classical career although she could pursue one easily if she wished, she got dada places at all the musical theatre colleges and northern, despite being a real ballet girl.She has found the course excellent so far, she is in her first year, but slow going classically although they have pushed on more this term. It suits her though and she loves it there. I have another 18yr old student who is very academic and wanted to go her a levels. She has in mky opinion a real shot at a classical career despite her age, she is naturally tiny, 5'4, I cannot imagine her not getting work, none of the ballet schools have turned her applications down, her advantage is a maturity of how to work, she is past the awkward 16-18 growth phase (often students go through a bit of a puppy stage again then). So far she got an on the day offer of a scholarship at both LSC and Dada Northern and she is joining the masse this wknd at the 'two'. She loves Rambert but hasn't auditioned yet and wad one of 5 who got an interview at London Contemporary. If they have the body and attitude there is no reason to worry about waiting a year or two, job wise it is righth place, right time, right size, right look and not age, unless a junior company but they take up to 22yr olds.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for all your comments.  Think my DD will try at age 16, but the decisions may be out of our hands.  She has already attended a vocational school but realised that for her, 13 was a little too young to board.  I also realise that finances, luck, talent and hard work can play a very big part.  It will be interesting to see how the next few years work out.  Who knows if she should have continued at vocational school at 13, or if she will be successful at either 16 or 18.  One thing is for sure, it will continue to be a rollercoaster!   So, good luck to all others who have just stepped onto the rollercoaster or are keen to get off! x

• Like 2

There's also the possibility of doing AS levels and auditioning at 17 - I've heard that some schools are happy to take students into their 1st year at 17.

This might suit people better especially if you have a summer birthday and are one of the youngest in your year anyway :)

• Like 1