ROH partners with Digital Theatre for Ballet & Opera Downloads

The ROH and Digital Theatre have joined forces to distribute filmed performances online:

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2013/09/roh-partners-digital-theatre-distribute-filmed-shows/

More detail from the Digital Theatre site:

http://www.digitaltheatre.com/browse/royal-opera-house-collection

It looks as if you can rent for 48 hours (£3.99), buy for £8.99, or buy in HD format for £10.99.

Edit to add:  I like the fancy words suggesting that DVDs are no longer selling as well as before.

Hmm, if it meant getting hold of a copy of the final Watson/Galeazzi Mayerling performance, then I'd definitely be interested :).  Fingers crossed for the future, and hoping for a lot more available, as Tony Hall promised.  After all, there's a limit to the number of Nutcracker performances you can produce on commercial DVD.

What I'm not so clear about is that if I buy a copy, can I transfer it onto "physical media"?  And if I can, what's to stop me making multiple copies?  Any DRM experts out there?

Good idea for those who live in civilisation with decent internet speeds.  for those of us in rural Suffolk where the broadband is delivered in tiny packets by rooks, the only option would be to buy and download overnight.  you'd then have to hook up the pc to a TV to view on a decent screen size... sounds a lot of hassle.  you also have the risk that Digital Theatre folds after a year or two leaving you with a bunch of material that will only play in their proprietary player - which won't be kept compatible with evolving operating systems etc.  I really don't like proprietary players, as you may have guessed...  I also doubt very much this is true HD; they advise 4gb of free space to download, whereas a bluray movie takes up 15-30gb.

Just release DVDs at sensible prices, then people will buy them!

• Like 4

Quite.  I'd have to go to a library or somewhere just to get a decent download speed, and that'd mean I'd have to put it on some sort of USB stick - and those don't come cheap.  I certainly don't want to shell out nearly a tenner only to find that something becomes obsolete in a few years :(

Still, I'm sure it'll be useful for some ...

If they're just going to offer the productions available on dvd (at the moment Swan Lake and Sylvia) which I already own this won't be useful for me. I'm hoping they'll include material which is not available on dvd such as performances which were broadcast (and therefore recorded), like the McRae-Marquez Fille.

thinking of similar things digital; - wasn't that original material initiative by Crystal Ballet with various RB and ex-RB dancers supposed to have come to fruition by now?  the website still only seems to have a marketing trailer for 'Genesis', nothing we could actually purchase.  

Edited by Quintus