RAD HQ to Euston

Pups_mum

Can anybody give me some idea how long the journey will take by public transport? I had a look on the TFL website and it seems to be about 45 mins but my husband reckons that their estimates are always very conservative.

DD has her advanced foundation exam at 16.05. According to the RAD website the exam is 85 mins long, so that takes us to 17.30. There is a train home from Euston at 18.30......I am wondering if it is do-able or not or whether I should just book tickets for the 19.30 and accept that we are going to be very late home.

I wouldn't be bothered if it was just me and DD, but I will also have my sons, 10 and 7 with me, and they have school the next morning so the extra hour's sleep would be very useful. But if we miss the 18.30 and end up with no seats on the 19.30 it will be a hideous journey!

Has anyone made the journey from Battersea to Euston at about that time of day? I'd also be interested in hearing about people's experiences with exams running to time (or not!) at HQ - what do you think is the probability of being out on tine?

Guest chinafish

Hm... if it's a week day then you're potentially hitting rush hour traffic...? I'm thinking the quickest might be clapham junction --> Vauxhall --> Victoria line up to Euston? I see that it suggests 170 to Victoria but traffic in Chelsea is always a bit hit-and-miss. TfL actually says both routes take a similar amount of time, but I personally would go for the train and tube option.

(Please don't blame me if the tube ends up being delayed on the day!)

Hi,

We have done the 170 bus loads of times. But sometimes a bus comes straight away, other times we have waited ages. If you get the bus straight away, it takes no time at all then the tube, but I would not risk it. Exams always seem to run over. I have not done the clapham junction but the 170 goes there from right outside only about three/ four stops.

Thanks all, but turns out I was panicking unnecessarily! I was chatting to one of our school TAs this morning and mentioned this problem, saying that the boys will be fit for nothing on Weds morning. She then pointed out that school doesn't start until Thursday! No idea where i got the idea that it was Weds from, but I am so relieved....it takes a great deal of stress out of the whole situation.

• Like 4

Personally I'd go for the later train as you will be travelling in the Rush Hour!!

From Battersea I assume it would have to be bus for part of the journey and you could link with the tube at either Vauxhall in one direction or Sloane Square in the other!

From Vauxhall....the better bet...should only be about 25 mins but the trains will be very crowded then so can't always guarantee getting on the first one!!

And will you actually be leaving he HQ dead on 17.30......need time to change etc so need to be realistic....more like 17.45

Personally I wouldn't even consider the earlier train!!

I wouldn't consider taking the earlier train either. Even if her exam finishes on time, she has to get changed etc - perhaps have a drink. You can take a taxi from HQ - they will order it for you if you ask - to Victoria to pick up the Victoria Line, or you could take the taxi to South Kensington, which would be shorter and therefore cheaper, but then you would have to change from the Picadilly Line to the Victoria Line at Green Park, which is a bit of a walk to change lines.

Just wanted to add that it's about an 8 to 10 minute walk to the bus stops in the main road leading to Battersea Bridge, which is why I suggested taking a taxi to the tube. Also to South Kensington it is not particularly far, even in the rush hour and you are I understand 4 (?) people, so a taxi at the end of a long, hard day might be a nice treat!. 

Would definitely get the later train ... Took us a good hour between Euston/rad last time we did it. Did tube and taxi one way and bus/tube back. Seem to recall crowded buses and quite a wait at clapham for a train. It's a devil of a place to get to!

• Like 1