City Academy 1 day Giselle Workshop at Jerwood Space SE1

Michelle_Richer

City Academy is teaching a new full day intensive Ballet workshop - Giselle!

This workshop will be taught by Rejane Garcia, and will teach you classic steps from the Act 1 for Giselle's friends dance and Giselle act 1 variation.

It’s a beautiful ballet to learn, as well interesting choreography. Both men and women can attend, as there are plenty of roles to fill. All levels are welcome, from beginners to advanced.

At the end of the workshop, you can invite family and friends to watch what you have worked on throughout the day.

Date: Saturday 21st September

Time: 11am – 5pm

Cost £80.00

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

Well this sounds good too but I don't understand why there hasn't been more notice.....this certainly wasn't on their website a couple of days ago!! They have advertised the Swan Lake one which isn't until December before this one which is next month!!

If I'm here I may go for this one instead of the Swan Lake one but looks like will be on holiday then.....even though we still haven't sorted this out....not even the destination yet but it is projected the last two weeks of September!!

One thing though I believe this is the same date as Franziskas next workshop which I haven't booked because thought I would be on holiday!!

Thanks for the info Michelle I will sign up for this one as well as I will be in London during this time period. Giselle is one of, if not my favourite, ballets. I'm unsure of how to get to Jerwood space though as it is in an area of London I am unfamiliar with.

• Like 1

It's off Union Street not far from Southwark tube station......sort of between that one and London Bridge but nearer Southwark. Don't know this Space at all but not far from the River so could walk along this walk and then cut through!!

I think if I AM here I will go for this one too!! Giselle is one of my favourites as well.

• Like 1

If you go on the website it tells you but it's for adults from beginners to more experienced dancers. Ive never done one of their workshops....Michelle is the one to ask....but maybe they give different groups different bits to learn etc. so some have easier bits and some harder. You can usually simplify more difficult bits though.

I attended the Swan Lake workshop over easter and everyone - to my knowledge - was over 18. It may be worth giving City Academy a call to check though http://www.city-academy.com/contact_us as there doesn't appear to be an age limit given on the website.

As for level I would say it is adapted based on observation of dancers at the barre so if everyone is taking class at an advanced level then the steps are more advanced and vice versa. I wouldn't worry though the workshops are for enjoyment rather than assessment and I messed up quite a few of the steps - the dance of the 4 cygnets argh, epaulement and legs moving and the changing of direction and just argh fun but so complex!

• Like 1

Ooh Giselle is my favourite ballet too! Shame I've just had a month off ballet! This may be the nudge I need to get back into routine...Back to the barre I go!!

But bring on Saturday it means I miss class...again :( At this rate I'll be taking my Adv 1 when I'm retired :D

• Like 2

Hi JustBallet

You have over a month to go for this one, with your expert pointe work I'm sure you will make short work of the first variation, What do you think?. I will be doing the easy option on demi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=omqyVhJqozk

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Well Ive booked this today...but with no ballet until then!!

I'd better do a lot of swimming when on holiday then!!

Ive been told on the phone today by the organisers that its a really nice space to dance in so should be good.

It looks like I have picked up another recruit tonight from ENB a guy this time, two girls from Saturdays Rep class were also interested. I’ve started looking at the Giselle's first variation, had a chat tonight with my level three teacher at ENB as I will need to strengthen my ankles for the 24 hopping ballonné’s, or the 6 ballonné’s 6 hops 6 ballonné’s and 6 hops, dependant upon which version City Academy chooses, my teacher thinks she wont be doing demi-pointe, but on a flat foot instead. But I’m going for demi capability weather we use it on the day or not. Should start some basic practicing this weekend.

In fact be very careful trying to do lots of hops on demi.....you could end up injuring either your toes or knees!!

When you do this on pointe......admittedly difficult enough....but you are protected by the shoe to some extent hopping on demi isn't a good idea in my books....I certainly won't be doing it anyway!!!

Hops on Demi pointe are doable but I would suggest not trying these without the supervision of a teacher as there are too many things which could get injured or overused. It also puts a great deal of strain on the calf muscle so I would hold off on trying on Demi pointe alone. On pointe has its challenges too due to the strength needed to do this towards end of solo. Much more difficult for a hyper mobile foot. To use the phrase "don't try this at home" if an adult learner is probably the safest advice.

• Like 3

I thought you girls knew me better than that; of course I have tried them but only a few at a time. We did do three hoping ballonne’s as part of a sequence at LAB SI, very similar but not quite the same. Never the less I am cautious as I already have some long standing discomfort in my ankles until I get them warmed up, but that I think is just down to the amount of ballet/related fitness classes I was doing every week, that has subsided a little since the summer break. But I am also of the opinion that if it get exercised then it will eventually strengthen and accommodate that activity. I have also seen our easy it is to get injuries while in class or at workshops even for experienced dancers, I have occasionally sustained minor injuries myself so please don’t think I’m foolhardy.

As I have the best part of four weeks to condition my feet for these hopping ballonne’s, so for me it will be little by little and in any case my ENB teacher is well aware of what I’m doing, It’s the sort of thing we discuss when talking about my homework after class.

• Like 1

Hi Lin

The Hopping Ballonne’s can come off the list now, I’m happy I will be able to do them in time, I have already completed the set of 6+6+6+6, so that’s on the back burner of strength building now.

I see there is something that looks like a half turn en dehors grand pirouette or an renversé, not sure which it is, as its so short. But I have only done one of those once at my Stamford class, I think there they called it a renversé, so that’s another on the list for me.

Another tricky one I have not come across before is a pirouette where you switch pivoting legs midway through, you can see these at 1.05 minute and at 1.08 minutes, I really don’t know what these are called, perhaps some of the experts on this forum can help us out here

These solos are usually adapted or you can adapt yourself.

Recently on the Tchaikovsky pas de Deux day I had to adapt the petit retirees in the middle section they were just TOO fast!!! So instead of two back one forward (repeated three times) I just did one back and one devant so had the correct leg In front each time.....sort of looked similar but much easier!!

• Like 1

By the way Michelle I know the step you mean where you change legs turning and I'm not a 100per cent sure but I think they are called something like enboite relevees en tournant but I need to look up the correct spelling etc!! I haven't done these for years as they haven't come up in any of the classes I do recently. But I do seem to remember doing across the room on diagonal as a pointe work exercise mostly.

Hi Lin

Thanks for the name of that movement; I couldn’t find it in my Video Dictionary of Classical Ballet. However a search on the net revealed this definition: Emboîté relevé en tournant [ah-bwa-TAY r(u)l VAY ah toor-NAH] (Fr. fit together step; pulled up; turning) A composite step performed en pointes consisting of three actions which make a full turn. The dancer begins in 5th position en demi-plié with the working foot behind, arms in 3rd position; she executes a relevé passé devant 2 to 1 travelling slightly along the line of dance, bringing the back foot to retiré devant and changing the arms to 3rd while making 1/2-turn en dedans; she then steps under the body line and lifts the other leg to retiré devant while making 1/2-turn en dehors to complete the full turn with the arms changing to 3rd position; and she finishes en demi-plié. Often performed en diagonale.

That sounds quite doable.

I am sure your right about the simplification, our teacher Rejane at City Academy is more likely to spit the class in two, one group doing the simplified version and the other doing the more challenging. It will most definitely be adapted to the capabilities the class.

For me, I’m pre-empting things by learning the sequence the best I can from various video examples, furthermore I have email one of my teachers that has provided me with personal tuition in the past, to continue this with repertoire work, basically going through what I have done on these various workshops and keeping them refreshed, but at the same time tidying up my technique. As it an awful shame to loos what we have learnt after a week or two. Unfortunately I’m unlikely to get any advance tuition on this one before the workshop, just my own practice and familiarisation. However it will be added to the list for refreshing. For Swan Lake in December I intend to get advance tuition, especially as I have danced both scenes before.

Wrong step!! Emboites are a small turning jumping step where you do change from right to left leg but in a series of half turns! Usually with the working leg in coup de pied position.

The step on pointe which is like a piqué turn but as you make the turn bring other leg into retire position I don't know the name of.

Have been looking at other videos of all the great and the good on YouTube doing this variation and I think I like Cojaccaru's version best...such a lovely dancey quality and Nunez not far behind!!

Some of the Russians do the steps brilliantly and with great precision but don't (to me) get the feeling of the character across that well. Cojaccaru always has lots of "time" in her dancing.

However your description of the emboite releves en tournant does then sound similar to what I was originally thinking so I don't know but I do think I'm remembering the jumped version...just a small jump and you change legs with each half turn. Not sure where I got this as a pointe work exercise from but maybe there is a sort of relevee version but in the video she is doing a whole turn rather than a half turn to change each leg which is much harder.

Still can't do from Youtube! When I want to post a website link (remember only have iPad ) I just touch the address...select all...highlight...select copy...then paste to where I want.

When I'm watching a YouTube video there is no link showing to highlight so no way of copying and pasting etc.

The version of Cojocaru I was watching was from a 2007 version with the Royal Ballet.