News for those who like to stand in the Stalls Circle

Meunier (sorry for my lack of response!), there isn't so much a "reward" of the work that I will be doing, except having meetings in the ROH where I get to go backstage, which is then followed by either an opera or ballet performance, which I'm perfectly happy with!

There are some performances in which the entire amphitheater is opened up to students, where you can buy 2 tickets, but only one student card is necessary, so under these circumstances a senior could go with a student, however I think when only 20 of these tickets being debated become available, then taking a senior wouldn't be possible.

You never know what developments might be made in the upcoming years though! 

Personally I would be much happier with a scheme that offered the cheaper tickets to people on low incomes. There are plenty of students, and pensioners for that matter who are not particularly hard up!

Yes, that would be a fairer way to deal with it .... for ALL ... but I would imagine almost impossible to administrate.  Still, I suppose, where there is a will there would be a way.  Question is;  Is there the will?  ....  Another Trust surely ... That might do the trick ...  only after, that is, the funds from this pony have been exhausted. 

Edited by Meunier

Personally I would be much happier with a scheme that offered the cheaper tickets to people on low incomes. 

In theory, the ROH already has such a scheme. 

Here is a quote from the ROH website (the highlighting is mine):

"Occasionally we are able to offer standby tickets four hours before a performance at half-price. These standby tickets are also available to those on Income Support, ES40 holders, deaf and disabled people, under-18s, Westminster ResCardholders, WC2 residents and Senior Citizens receiving Pension Credits at £12.50 for ballet and £15 for opera. Information about standby tickets is given within 24 hours of the performance. These tickets are offered at the Management’s discretion. For information about their availability, phone the Box Office on +44 (0)20 7304 4000"

However, I imagine it is some time since this kind of standby has been offered as the current student standby scheme probably takes precedence.

However, I imagine it is some time since this kind of standby has been offered as the current student standby scheme probably takes precedence.

Also, as has been pointed out much earlier in this chain by one of the ROH's own Student Advisors, the ROH itself advised that it was changing their policy to ADD the 10 SCS & 10 slips places per performance to students only as the availability of the afore-referenced Standby Scheme had already become relatively rare and as they themselves projected that it would become progressively more so in the future.  

Edited by Meunier

"Occasionally we are able to offer standby tickets four hours before a performance at half-price. These standby tickets are also available to those on Income Support, ES40 holders, deaf and disabled people, under-18s, Westminster ResCardholders, WC2 residents and Senior Citizens receiving Pension Credits at £12.50 for ballet and £15 for opera. Information about standby tickets is given within 24 hours of the performance. These tickets are offered at the Management’s discretion. For information about their availability, phone the Box Office on +44 (0)20 7304 4000"

(Laughs like a drain).  I think the ROH's attitude here is reflected in the fact that they still use the term "ES40 holders" - how many years ago was that replaced by Jobseeker's Allowance?  Just to say that I've asked about those alleged standbys on days when there were still 400+ seats showing as free in the auditorium, and was still told they weren't on offer.  Having said that, I did actually get offered a half-price balcony standing for a triple bill a few years ago: £3 instead of £6!