Ballerinas out of context!

My favorites are 2 and 4. Like 1 also.

(And since 1 includes the tail of an airplane I'd like to say that I really liked the British Air planes about 15 years ago when artists did many designs for the tails)

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

Buddy:  Those ethnic tailplane designs that British Airways introduced were by no means universally popular, with Mrs Thatcher memorably dropping a handkerchief over a model on one occasion.  They also proved to be a safety hindrance to Air Traffic ground controllers issuing taxi instructions and the like.  At major, busy airports it's often the tailplanes that are most quickly seen above a sea of fuselages, and it helps to have a single decorative design for an airline to permit controllers to track what's happening.  The plethora of designs that BA used apparently became a real nuisance and a potential hazard - no doubt one of the reasons for the eventual change to adopt the single, current design.  (And if I recall correctly, that's the one that was used on BA's Concorde fleet, all of which had the one design.)

• Like 1

Buddy:  Those ethnic tailplane designs that British Airways introduced were by no means universally popular, with Mrs Thatcher memorably dropping a handkerchief over a model on one occasion.  They also proved to be a safety hindrance to Air Traffic ground controllers issuing taxi instructions and the like.  At major, busy airports it's often the tailplanes that are most quickly seen above a sea of fuselages, and it helps to have a single decorative design for an airline to permit controllers to track what's happening.  The plethora of designs that BA used apparently became a real nuisance and a potential hazard - no doubt one of the reasons for the eventual change to adopt the single, current design.  (And if I recall correctly, that's the one that was used on BA's Concorde fleet, all of which had the one design.)

Thanks, Ian. I never was aware of the safety factor. Certainly a very valid reason for changing them if it's as critical a factor as you describe. I did really like them though.

Edited by Buddy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favourite 'off stage' ballet photographer is definitely Enrico Nawrath, who was/is associated with the Staatsballett Berlin.  His site is here:  http://www.enonava.de  and there are lots more on his Facebook page.  He has some really amazing backstage and practice shots, and also did a series while out and about with his phone camera and some ballerina friends which look as good as anything that would come out of a studio.  Gene Schiavone is of course a great performance photographer  and another favourite but I think Enrico edges him overall; he certainly seems to have a great empathy with the dancers which comes through.

Edited by Quintus