Why do we need associate programs

Curious

As I said earlier, my daughter was a JA but hasn't gone on to dance as a career, but she loved her lessons and we met some lovely people. And she had the opportunity to dance at Move It, the Royal Albert Hall and at the WL summer fair. All great experiences.

My son got to perform with the RB in two different productions when he was a JA and he probably wouldn't have got into WL if he hadn't been one (not many other options for associate programmes 11 years ago).

• Like 2

We have very much found that associates are good for many of the reasons given. Our DD got to perform at the ROH when a JA - an incredible memory. Since then she has really gained from other associates, and the extra top level teaching has I'm sure helped her to achieve well in exams, auditions, festivals etc. As others have stated, works best when the local teacher will work with the associate work. We will probably take on some second associates in the autumn, to help build up more high level tuition for DD.

• Like 1

My son is in his third year as a JA. He has performed in Alice twice, Prince of Pagodas, Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake with Royal Ballet and Don Quixote with the Mikhailovsky Ballet at Coliseum. Got into White Lodge. He was getting bored doing grade work at a very good school he went to and I don't know if he would of carried on but at RBS he loved the free work and got him interested again. So I would say without JA's my son wouldn't be going to WL in Sept.

The opportunities for RBS associates seem absolutely amazing! Although I suppose that should be expected as they are associates of an established and renowned school, with performance possibilities with the RB and BRB - and other companies.

I am sure that every associate scheme will be of benefit in that it is additional unset work with varied teachers although those attached to a school or company will also perhaps provide additional benefits in terms of familiarity with (and being known and noticed by) a school and its teachers and performance opportunities.

Do Elmhurst associates have the chance to appear with BRB or would it usually be the RBS associates who perform with them?

I found myself not wanting to read this thread as I/we feel we have lost our way... But after reading everyone's thoughts and experiences it made me stop and think what my dd has achieved in her little life through attending, courses, associates and other schools. We have travelled many thousands of miles by car, train and plane to Edinburgh (Ballet West), London (LJB), Leeds (Northern Ballet), Preston & Newcastle (EYB), Sunderland (Elmhurst), Dance Algarve x 2 (Portugal), birmingham (MIDAS) There are other one off courses and workshops and year 7 auditions too many to mention but on reflection the life experience she has gained is second to none, she has made friends from all over the world danced in theatres and studios along side amazing teachers, dancers and inspirational people who she still continues to look up to ;) if she never gets the opportunity again she will always have the memories and experiences.

Would we do it again absolutely... We have had the disappointment of y7 vocational school not working out but on a positive side we get to see our lovely dd grown in to a young lady and not miss a moment of her life! We are looking forward to new beginnings and meeting new friends along the way ;)

One final word on this our children need support from family, friends and good dance teachers at home first, we should never forget the tireless hours sent at home travelling to dance classes with the local dance teacher who without, none of this would ever be possible... ;) Thank you!!

Cx

• Like 19

Well said C4D! Without the 'local' home dance teacher, there would be no professional dancers! Most of these teachers work long, often unsociable, hours often dealing with all sorts of obstacles. How often do they get a "thank you"?!

It must take a great amount of self-lessness, courage and trust to advise students that there is only so much they can do for them, and to promote associate classes (I do know of teachers who won't always recommend every associate programme as "they can get a decent ballet class here with me!"). However, on the other hand, those teachers who work alongside the teachers at associate programmes can also reap the rewards. 

• Like 4