Carol Anne Millar retires from BRB

Several BRB dancers reported today on twitter that Carol Anne Millar gave her final performance with BRB yesterday as Swanilda in Coppelia at the Virginia Arts Festival.

I've always enjoyed her performances and I have seen some spectacular ones in the last couple of years.

Unexpectedly she danced Juliet with Ian Mackay as her Romeo at the Lowry a couple of years ago.  It is one of the most remarkable and memorable performances I have ever seen.  Her Pineapple Poll was just sublime!  She was also a tour de force as both Swanilda and Lise.  Another of my favourite roles was as one of the stompers in Upper Room.

Carol Anne had the most amazing leap and always gave her all.

She will be greatly missed by all her fans whom, I am sure will join me in wishing her all the best for the future.

Jonathan Caguioa tweeted a photograph earlier.  I hope the link works:

https://twitter.com/jonnycag/status/325989942054498307/photo/1

• Like 4

That's a shame: it doesn't feel as though she's been around that long, but since I remember her being in Le Festin de l'Araignée at her graduation I guess she must have graduated in 1997.  Or am I getting my dates mixed up?

I've started a thread on "Performances Seen" about the Virginia performances of Coppelia.  One of the items I have linked has a paragraph that says:

"This performance of Coppélia on Saturday was actually Carol-Anne’s last performance with BRB; she has danced with the company for several years, and is retiring. She will be taking time off before starting a Royal Academy of Dance ballet teacher training course in June. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to see her perform again, and that she honored Norfolk with her last BRB performance."

http://www.altdaily.com/features/art/6188-brb-coppelia