Ruth French award

ballemum

Hi all,

My dd has been entered for the Ruth French award at the rad. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it,

what they have to do or how the day goes are they there all day etc... usual questions. lol .

Thanks in advance for any answers.

It would be lovely if the RAD did publicise them a bit more. My dd spent ten years at her previous RAD school and the teacher (an examiner, no less!) went out of her way to discourage her students from doing anything other than syllabus work and exams, and no-one was ever even told of these events, let alone entered for them! I even asked her once, if the RAD did awards or competitions like the ISTD and was told rather sniffily that they didn't.

All i know at the moment is she has had to have passed with distinction and its grade 6 or intermediate foundation or above.

Spannerandpony i am not sure not heard of that one either.

taxiforballet the teacher told us and i have scoured the website and can't find a thing.

She did sa she would find out more for us but its in April so would be nice to know a little sooner.

The new East of England Scholarship Day is what the Catherine Blellock award is now called. It's for various grades and is a non-syllabus class where there are commendations for musicality, allegro, and Port de bras, plus an overall prize. It's only for RAD schools in the East of England and Midlands as far as I know. The RAD Teacher has to enter the students and send all the paperwork off which I suppose is why the info is not easily available to students.

Perhaps the Ruth French award is similar?

• Like 1

I think, though am not positive that the Ruth French award is the scholarship award for London regional.  All the regions seem to have the scholarships days where the RAD teacher is the one to enter students.  You can sometimes see details on the RAD News and Events pages on on the facebook pages that the various regions have.  However, I agree that they are not widely publicised.

• Like 1

my DD did the Ruth French award I think, when she was at her old ballet school. Either that, or the Ruth French was on at the same time as another award she was doing. It would have been either at Battersea at the RAD HQ, or in Birmingham - all theRAD competitions she did were at one of those 2, and I think the Ruth French is probably a similar format, i.e., do a class in front of a panel, then get through and do a final class in front of a panel, who pick a winner & runners up. Good experience in order to see who else is out there, but of course it's only open to RAD people so arguably not really seeing who else is out there!

and also, it was definitely done through DD's [then] teacher and not publicised much, even to other children within the same school. Although any winners from the school were publicised!

Edited by Gingerbread