Inner Shin Pain

Pasdebourree15

*NOTE: THIS IS DIFFERENT TO A PREVIOUS POST ALSO ENTITLED SHIN PAIN*

I've always dealt with pain on the inner length of my shins, but lately it's been getting a lot worse as I've increased my dance hours. It's worse on one side, and really restricts my jumping abilities....

I've talked to a couple of dance teachers and received a wide variety of advice... some say to try alternate hot and cold therapy  others have said that there's nothing I can do apart from warming my legs and feet up properly before class. I've tried both of these things and nothing seems to really help.

Does anyone have any advice? 

It could be shin splints but then it could be a number of things. Can you get your GP to refer you to a Physio as its probably best if someone had a look at your shins and where it hurts rather than us guess what might be the issue? Although I'm sure there are people here who may know exactly what it is. I hope you can get is sorted!

If it is shin splints it can be helped by a thorough warm up.  It is often found where either (or both) the shoes and the floor lack resilience - but not always.  It certainly  is painful. You might check your street shoes for resilience - you want shoes with resilient soles.  Jumping and/or stamping, such as in tap dancing, aggravate it.

But nothing that I've said can take the place of a professional opinion.  Don't wait for "eventually."  The problem is here, now - and as you said - getting worse.

• Like 1

Something to consider is whether you might have tight calf muscles and achilles. I only say this because my son suffers from similar pain and deep tissue calf massage really helps. Obviously you need to get your own diagnosis but thought I would mention it. Good luck sorting it out. It's very frustrating!

• Like 1

It sounds like an ongoing problem I have. I have tendonitis in the inside of my shin which then goes into the inside of my ankle joint on both legs, althoough one is worse than the other. It was initially caused by years of rolling in on my ankles and when I incresed my dance training from 2 hours a week to 11 it got very bad because my calves tightened up. I keep on top of it by warming up thoroughly and stretching my calves constantly (45 seconds stretch each leg, 6-7 times a day) and icing the sore area for 10 mins at least once a day. I also have orthotics in my street shoes to correct the roll in my ankles ans use massage balls to release some of the tightness in my calves. Obviously, it might be something different to me but I definitely recommend seeing a dance physio or sports therapist about it (mine is a marathon runner and knows exectly how I feel!) because it is likely to only get worse. Ask them to explain exactly what is happening because I found it really useful to understand precisely what my tendons were doing and why. I've been able to talk to my dance teachers about it and together we have found ways of managing my classes. I hope you manage to get it sorted, there is nothing more frustrating than hurting every time you jump!

• Like 4

I cannot emphasise enough how vital it is to seek medical advice, particularly from a good Physio. If you can see an experienced Dance Physio then so much the better, but if not, a good sports Physio. Please don't leave a problem because the earlier you can catch an injury and get a proper diagnosis and the RIGHT treatment, the better.

• Like 3

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice...Shimmer I have high insteps and my feet roll inwards if I don't think about walking 'flat'....my problem sounds very similar to yours, so thanks so much for your help. I will definitely talk to a physio.

This is such a wonderful forum. Thank you all... it can be really frustrating to be restricted in class by pain! So hopefully I can get all this sorted out. My aim is to go to vocational dance school for 6th form, and this is really not something I want to have to deal with for the rest of my dance career! But I really can't stress how grateful I am for all the help!

Thanks again 

• Like 1

I am mindful of the fact that I don't want this thread to turn into "medical" advice for Pasdebourree.  There's been some excellent advice so far, but the main point is that you should seek a professional opinion sooner rather than later - preferably from someone who understands the demands of a dancer. 

PDB - there are some threads on here with advice about dance physios - have a search but if you don't have any luck, do ask on here and people will be happy to help.I won't lock the thread yet so people can help in this manner, but please be mindful of the fact I think everything's been said that should be about the actual physical "problem"  :)   Thanks all

• Like 2

"Shin splints" don't exist. It's an 'umbrella term' for shin pain which can be caused by all sorts of reasons: tendinitis, stress fractures, periostitis etc etc etc

Shimmer has put it well, you need to know what has caused the issue in order to help it get fixed. A lot of these lower limb chronic issues need the underlying cause sorting and it might be biomechanics (alignment) so orthotics might be necessary or it might be something else that needs sorting so physio or podiatrist should be your first port of call!

• Like 1