softening soft blocks

ballemum

Hi all,

My dd is doing her intermediate exam in march and was told last week she needed soft blocks which I bought. Now everyone is saying I need to soften them so they are softer for exam.

While a tad annoyed as I would have got them at christmas so she had time to soften and get used to them I need to help her.

thank you in advance to anyone that answers

How much dancing is your DD doing? My DD finds she wears in soft blocks quite quickly.  My DD had hers about 3 months before the exam but she only wore them twice a week and they were good for her exam. DD's friend with same amount of dancing over the 3 months had almost worn hers out.  Tip - darn the ends as for pointe shoes.  This really helps them last a lot longer as they get scruffy with ripped satin way before the shoes are worn out.  They are easier to darn than pointe shoes.

My daughter's Grishkos harden after every use and I have no idea why. Perhaps a combination of sweat and shoe glue and then drying rock hard? However, she gives them a good beating, anything and everyone in her vicinity. Even thrown them in the microwave. I leave her to it though as she always looks pretty lethal when she's in shoe bashing mode! Doesn't make an awful lot of difference as she's the noisiest in her dance class despite best attempts to land softly. She's got new soft blocks now and hoping that her last pair were just a fluke!

Oh, she does run on the spot in them too!

We know exactly what you mean about Grishkos! My dd had their soft blocks and pointes until quite recently and they stayed rock hard, no matter what she did (she even made me run them over, on instructions from her ballet teacher - a useless exercise!!)

I really don't think there's anything you can do about the noise either!

Still, they do look pretty - and dd found them very comfortable :P

Hi,

Thank you for the reples and my dd has grishkos as her pointe shoes are the same make and she has always liked them.

wondering whether i should have come on here before buying them.

Are all soft blocks this hard or are some other makes softer?

Anyway kettle boiling and hammer in hand (can't believe i'm about to take a hammer to a £40 pair of shoes)

Do i hammer the top, bottom or both bits?

A lot of my friends sleep in them for a few nights, the sweat softens them and they mould to the shape of your feet. I microwaved mine until the box felt warm then wrapped them in a towel and bashed them with a rolling pin. Softening the glue first helps them break down more evenly rather than cracking into lots of pieces.

As long as the satin stays clean and undamaged you can't be too violent!

• Like 2

I will try the sleeping in them first over the weekend. Thank you.

2dancers mum orry meant to answer you in last post. She dances all week because of the days her grades fall on as she is also doing her grade 6 exam but the intermediate three times a week up to exam.