Sketches- Northern Ballet 9-10 May 2024

I'm just back from the Sketches programme at Northern Ballet which is running tonight and tomorrow at NB HQ in Leeds. 

I thought it was a lovely programme of choreography by different choreographers from the company and elsewhere.  There were 7 different choreographers including one of the stage managers.  I thought it was a great evening.  Naturally some of it worked better for me than other pieces.  

High points included a lovely piece by Heather Lehan which was inspired by Hollywood musicals and reminded me of "Singing in the Rain" I thought it was really interesting and lively.  Heather performed in one of the earlier pieces and she was a delight to watch, such lovely extensions.   

Aaron Kok also did a lovely piece for 4 dancers set to 2 different pieces by Astor Piazzolla which I really liked.  Aerys Merrill shone in this as she always does.  

George Liang composed a lovely pas de deux for Kevin Poeung (I think)  and one of the dancers from the Ability network (who was amazing but I didn't catch his name).  It worked incredibly well and the two dancers had great chemistry.    

The only piece I wasn't madly keen on was the first one by Carlos Pons Guerra which was a take on Ovid's Metamorphoses because it didn't hang together for me and the music didn't quite suit the mood he was trying to set.    

All the dancers were really talented and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I don't know if there are tickets for tomorrow but I'd fully recommend it if you can get.  It's brilliant seeing so much talent and innovation by the young choreographers.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

I'm just back from the Sketches programme at Northern Ballet which is running tonight and tomorrow at NB HQ in Leeds. 

I thought it was a lovely programme of choreography by different choreographers from the company and elsewhere.  There were 7 different choreographers including one of the stage managers.  I thought it was a great evening.  Naturally some of it worked better for me than other pieces.  

High points included a lovely piece by Heather Lehan which was inspired by Hollywood musicals and reminded me of "Singing in the Rain" I thought it was really interesting and lively.  Heather performed in one of the earlier pieces and she was a delight to watch, such lovely extensions.   

Aaron Kok also did a lovely piece for 4 dancers set to 2 different pieces by Astor Piazzolla which I really liked.  Aerys Merrill shone in this as she always does.  

George Liang composed a lovely pas de deux for Kevin Poeung (I think)  and one of the dancers from the Ability network (who was amazing but I didn't catch his name).  It worked incredibly well and the two dancers had great chemistry.    

The only piece I wasn't madly keen on was the first one by Carlos Pons Guerra which was a take on Ovid's Metamorphoses because it didn't hang together for me and the music didn't quite suit the mood he was trying to set.    

All the dancers were really talented and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I don't know if there are tickets for tomorrow but I'd fully recommend it if you can get.  It's brilliant seeing so much talent and innovation by the young choreographers.  

Thanks for this - I would have loved to have seen this as from what I have seen on social media it looked very interesting. Unfortunately the 500 mile round trip put paid to that  🤣

• Like 2

I agree, I thought it was lovely too. I went primarily to watch my son perform but thoroughly enjoyed the whole programme, especially the final piece and the piece for Kevin and Ruben. Some beautiful dancers at Northern at the moment. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Farawaydancer said:

I agree, I thought it was lovely too. I went primarily to watch my son perform but thoroughly enjoyed the whole programme, especially the final piece and the piece for Kevin and Ruben. Some beautiful dancers at Northern at the moment. 

I agree there are some really talented dancers there.

I thought they were all amazing tonight. I hope your son was very pleased with himself.

• Like 1

I thought it was a terrific evening!

It’s always a pleasure to go to NB’s HQ at Quarry Hill as it always seems so welcoming.

Federico topped and tailed the evening with short speeches and each choreographer introduced their own work.

I loved Carlos Pons Guerra’s piece Doe, A Deer, which was loosely based around Greek Myths.  Rachael Gillespie was absolutely incandescent.  (I am a big fan of Carlos’ work).

Isabella Guyan, who is on the graduate programme, gave us a delightful duet with Jack Farren - definitely dancers to look out for in the future.

All the pieces we saw were very enjoyable and definitely showed a depth of choreographical talent the company is nurturing.

The programme ran without an interval and it was good to chat to the choreographers, dancers and fans in the foyer after the event.

This is the second such evening initiated by Federico and I sincerely hope it is going to be an annual event.

IMG_4031.thumb.jpeg.07c2a9e2368d873639c93ea927d09b49.jpegIMG_4032.thumb.jpeg.d35301eaeb62048ddcc823bf1d65f5aa.jpegIMG_4033.thumb.jpeg.a950520d2fcd4680a910acf9e075ad8f.jpegIMG_4035.thumb.jpeg.72f87a98aa8a630264c655ab0da6ffe0.jpeg

IMG_4034.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1