NBS new student 2024

Rachel

4 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Looking for info on additional funding that may be available to help with accommodation costs. Do students work alongside their studies ?

Hi. Additional funding maybe available depending on your geographical location. Trusts/Bursaries and other scholarships could be on offer through your local education/arts council, theatre or your local church it’s amazing where some benefactor's can be found. Well worth making enquiries.
In answer to your second question. There’s just not enough hours in the day or energy left to work during term time whilst being a full time pupil at NBS.  
Many do holiday jobs though. 

Apologies @Rachel I did edit my post slightly but appear to have missed the save button. 
My comment was really directed as to those living away from home (Halls). 
However, there are some pupils at NBS that do work at the weekends but they tend to be the ones that are living at home with their parents & commuting in daily to NBS. Therefore they are able to continue with the same employer during term time as they worked for during the holidays. 

I don't know if it's still an option, but when my dd was at NBS many years ago she, and many of her friends, worked ad hoc in the Dance House Theatre which is on site. She worked as an usherette, in the Box Office and when she was over 18 she worked in the bar. The advantage with working in the Dance House was that they understood that NBS commitments came first. It suited her very well, especially as she found evenings quite long sometimes.

She had other friends who had more regular part time jobs at weekends. For some there was no choice but to work. They had no other way to pay their rent. There are plenty of options in Manchester for part time work.

I guess it depends on the individual and how much they need the money.

11 hours ago, Rachel said:

Looking for info on additional funding that may be available to help with accommodation costs. Do students work alongside their studies ?

Hi there,

My daughter worked wkends during her 1st & 2nd years at NBS, really did help to pay the bills, but it was very tiring full on all wk then job at the wkends. In her 3rd now & she hasn't worked, even though no classes at wkends there have been auditions, extra work load, shows, conventions etc. There is the National Youth Arts Trust that will give certain grants, more for uniforms, equipment etc...it works in the way of if you're offered say £500 you buy what's needed then get reimbursed when receipts are uploaded as proof of purchase, so not for living but savings can then be added to the 'living' pot. 

As said before check your local charities/ council etc as they sometimes give to students following an arts career rather than a ' conventional ' academic path. 

Mj

My daughter has been offered a dada for Northern balletvsept 2024.

She's 16 May... just wanting to know if anyone else is same and where you have reserved. 

Also if you accept it but get offer else where can u cancel ??? Xxx 

She has one other fav place yet to here from ? But same time this is a high up choice so I'm confused . 

She has a dada offer from Stella man too but the area distance accomidation was concerning me so nbs is a better choice for us on that side. 

Xxxx any help advise appreciated 

On 04/04/2024 at 09:10, Rachel said:

DS hasn't worked during term time (mainly because they're quite busy, but also because it would be harder to come home in the hols) but he does work as much as he can when he's home in the hols. Their schedule is pretty full on, often not getting home till well after 6pm, plus it takes some time to get their heads around spending time to cook, do laundry, clean, and of course spend time speaking to friends and family from home, alongside spending time with new friends. It's certainly possible, but they REALLY work hard and do get very tired!